Support VWWC

Thread: Rear Fog Light as Reverse light

Rear Fog Light as Reverse light

Hey all,

Curious to know if you can you use VCDS to code a Mk5 Golf to use the Rear Fog Light as a reverse light?

As you all know only having 1 reverse light is far from ideal. And i have no need for a fog light.

Thanks!
    2005 MkV Golf 2.0TDi 103 - DSG - Heated Leather - Tint - Audi 17" - Lowered - Bluefin Tune.
    2016 MkVII Golf 2.0TDi 110 - Wagon. Fully Optioned. Lowered on Eibachs. RS3 Black 18s. VCDS Tweaks - Bluefin Tune

Users Country Flag
    Just put your foot on the brake pedal enough to bring the lights on
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

this is not helpful..
    2005 MkV Golf 2.0TDi 103 - DSG - Heated Leather - Tint - Audi 17" - Lowered - Bluefin Tune.
    2016 MkVII Golf 2.0TDi 110 - Wagon. Fully Optioned. Lowered on Eibachs. RS3 Black 18s. VCDS Tweaks - Bluefin Tune

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    this is not helpful..
    Why not be using that method for decades
    Otherwise it depends if the Fog has a red glass or a red bulb. If the latter change it If the former logical way would be to buy a taillight from a LHD car and use that
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 09-01-2021 at 02:03 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

You could also simply change the licence plates to bright white leds as these work really well.
    Another option is to piggy back the actual reverse light to teh other side but as Hillbilly said you will need to get some aftermarket stuff.
    Also an option is to add an extra led.
    and an option to add a reverse cam.
    Hillbilly's first option of pressing the brake pedals works as well.

Users Country Flag
    I did it to my Passat Wagon. I bought a LHD tail lamp piece with the reverse light to replace the original part with the fog lamp. Then using ODIS I turned off bulb monitoring for the rear foglight, then snipped the fog light wires off the bulb holder and tapped into the existing reverse light wiring.

I could have activated the other reverse light in the central electrics module and swapped some pins at the module itself, but the basic way I did it works fine. So much better when reversing in the dark now!
    2008 Passat Wagon - 125 TDI - Black on Black - All stock, for now!

Users Country Flag

You can't use VCDS to do it.

What you need to do is run a wire from the reverse light, to the rear fog light to energise the fog light when you put the car into reverse.

The fog light has a red lens that you can remove so it will be clear.

That said, if you put the rear fog light on from the headlights switch, it will illuminate in white light i.e. dangerous AF, and it will also illuminate the original reverse light.

To solver illuminating the original reverse light you need to put a diode in the wire from the reverse light to the fog light.

So if you never ever ever use your rear fog light, then you should be apples.

That said, if you have a factory flip badge RVC, just put a higher wattage bulb into the reverse light, and you get enough illumination to reverse well at night.

Welcome to 2009