Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OBDII Reader ELM327

OBDII Reader ELM327

Hey guys,

Just purchased a $35 OBDII reader for my 2002 GTI Golf and im using the Torque Pro app for android via bluetooth and its failing to find the ECU i also noticed the reader was a little tight to plug into the OBD port. Is this normal for these golfs? Do they not have a true OBD port / is it not readable?

Little confused why it wouldnt just work, if anyone else has gotten theres to work please tell me how!

Users Country Flag
    Do you have an aftermarket radio?

If so, unplug it and try again.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Do you have an aftermarket radio?

If so, unplug it and try again.
    As in stereo radio? No mate its still the genuine CD player

Users Country Flag
    I also have an OBDii ELM27 connected to torque pro on my Samsung galaxy S7. It works on my XTrail but does not on my new Tiguan.

I looked at the the 2 units that support VW and ended up biting the bullet and got the Ross -Tech VCDS HEXNET v2 usb.

This is the most expensive but it gives you the most number of options and modifying the ECU is basically select from the drop list rather than entering long strings of code with the chance of a typo stuffing everything up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Delewin View Post
    I also have an OBDii ELM27 connected to torque pro on my Samsung galaxy S7. It works on my XTrail but does not on my new Tiguan.

I looked at the the 2 units that support VW and ended up biting the bullet and got the Ross -Tech VCDS HEXNET v2 usb.

This is the most expensive but it gives you the most number of options and modifying the ECU is basically select from the drop list rather than entering long strings of code with the chance of a typo stuffing everything up.

Thanks for that mate, thats a little extreme for what i want to use it for.
    I just want to scan codes and watch some fancy gauges its a bummer its not working. I'm going to try some software on my laptop this afternoon and see if that works to eliminate my phone being an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky789 View Post
    Hey guys,

Just purchased a $35 OBDII reader for my 2002 GTI Golf and im using the Torque Pro app for android via bluetooth and its failing to find the ECU i also noticed the reader was a little tight to plug into the OBD port. Is this normal for these golfs? Do they not have a true OBD port / is it not readable?

Little confused why it wouldnt just work, if anyone else has gotten theres to work please tell me how!
    I have a similar setup on my MK5 GTI and it all works perfectly, there might be something wrong with the obd2 device if it doesn't detect your ecu. I use a unit like below which is wifi not Bluetooth.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231177929373

Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    I have a similar setup on my MK5 GTI and it all works perfectly, there might be something wrong with the obd2 device if it doesn't detect your ecu. I use a unit like below which is wifi not Bluetooth.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/231177929373
    Yeh thanks mate I'll buy that one and see how it goes. I have a strange feeling there bluetooth driver issued with my phone. It connects to the OBD reader but on all the apps i try it always fails to find a protocol to read the ECU. Any possibility this car isnt OBD compatible?

I'm no expert but why would it have an odb2 port if it wasn't?

At $30 or whatever the adaptor costs it's a small risk to take especially if myself and others have got it working. I don't see why the mk6/7 would be that different.

Good luck either way

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky789 View Post
    Hey guys,

Do you have the key turned to on?

Users Country Flag

6789 is the key code that came with mine.
    Good luck.

Ordered: 2017 build date Tiguan 162 TSI Highline with DAP in Tungsten Silver and rear luggage tray. ETA: late April / Early May. I did not have to wait. I took delivery on 11 March 2017.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast