Support VWWC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OBDII Reader ELM327

Users Country Flag

Just FYI - was using ELM327 and Torque app on our 2002 mk4 last night, worked perfectly fine.
    | 2016 VW Golf R 7 | DSG | Pure White | Leather | Sunroof | Driver Assist | JB4 |
    | 2003 VW Golf SE | Auto | Silver | Sunroof |
    | 2010 VW Golf R 6 | Manual | Leather | ACC | 19s | Black Pack | GIAC Stage 2+ |

Still having this issue lads. I bought yet again another adapter and it still doesn't work, I have checked the adapters with others cars and they all worked fine. I checked pin 7 (Kline) and it has 2.4v on it and checked the resistance on pins 4 and 5, they come up good.

Is 2.4v normal for the Kline and if this is the problem how do I go about fixing it?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky789 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Perhaps one of these might help (OBD2 extension cable)?
    What benefit would an extension cable give me?
    Has anyone got anymore ideas to why this thing won't connect? It's very concerning and my next step is taking it to someone to figure out why this won't work and the last thing I want is to spend hours on some clown troubleshooting something he has no idea about
    from "the clown"

Don
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Thanks mate. So just to confirm should I have 12v on that Kline pin? I currently have 2.4v

I guess I need to check those other two fuses as well

I have a factory VW radio, should I still just cut the wire out of it?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky789 View Post
    Thanks mate. So just to confirm should I have 12v on that Kline pin? I currently have 2.4v

I guess I need to check those other two fuses as well

I have a factory VW radio, should I still just cut the wire out of it?
    Stocky: the reason for me including the very simplified wiring diagram is to confirm to you that the car does indeed use Kline protocol. But the real reason for my diagram is to show that the car also appears to use CAN technology as evidenced by the inclusion of a CAN Gateway module (j533) and "can-high" & "can-low" lines (see my diagram).

I'm most certainly NOT experienced with your car, but my (very simplified) wiring diagram tells me that Kline protocol is used to communicate with 2 x modules only: the radio and the dashboard insert module. Without investigating the rest of VW's wiring diagrams for the car - I assume that the rest of the modules are in fact CAN controlled (again, I'm assuming).

I'm also not experience with ELM327 devices - I have actually used one of these for a very brief period but I quickly tossed it into the bin (thankfully it didn't cost much). Anyhow - sure, go check all the fuses if you want, but unless you have errors showing on the dash, I suspect that you are chasing a red-herring!

If your car isn't showing symptoms of errors - then pure diagnostic logic suggests that the problem MAY BE elsewhere: perhaps your ELM device isn't compatible with dual OBD protocols? Perhaps the ELM unit is faulty - the unit that I purchased/chucked-away did not have a high build quality? Perhaps the CAN high/low wires on your car from the OBD socket (DLC in my picture) to J533 are broken, or the mating connectors are faulty? I don't know - I'm just speculating!

Finally, I'm also not experienced with ISO 9141/14230 standards (KLine protocols) -but as to your specific question about the voltage on the Kline pin - my understanding is that the ISO standard requires a scan-tool to initialize a communications session by pulling the K-line to ground.

The K-line is supposed to have some voltage on it, but through a high-impedance source. So the voltage measured is very dependent on many variables related in the main to the Kline comms activities during the time measured AND most importantly, dependent on the type of measuring device. Done correctly, Kline voltage measurement should use a high impedance oscilloscope because volts are time dependent. Multi-meter measurements (I assume that you used one of these) of Kline voltage is grossly inaccurate and should be consider to be "indicative" only. However, you shouldn't expect +12 volts if you are using a simple multi-meter: if the K-line has +12 on it, something is definitely not right

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 19-04-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    I have a 2010 118TSi. Just wondering if the ELM327 would work in it. I bought one for my Hilux from Banggood. It works great on my S9 Samsung phone. I just leave it plugged in permanently to the Hilux. I would buy another for the Golf as they are only $10.

Depends what you want to do with it. Just connect the UTE one to the TSi and see how you go. You can put the new one in the Hilux if it works but it will be very limited in function.
    Keep in mind shipping is a nightmare now, wait times have gone well into an extra fortnight if not more.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234