Support VWWC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OBDII Reader ELM327

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    Do you have the key turned to on?
    Yeh mate tried it with ignition and motor running. I'll try it out on another vehicle tomorrow that i know for sure works with OBD2 devices, I have ordered a WiFi one anyway since that's what I see most people using. But any reason why it was tight to get on? Its like the plug was slightly a different shape.

Alright blokes so i purchased another OBD2 reader this time a WiFi one and again still no ECU connection, powers up and connects to OBD reader and begins to search for a protocol but fails
    One thing i did notice is pin 16 on my OBD port has no power, but if this is the case why does my OBD device still power up?
    Also is it possible that even though my radio is genuine that it could still be stuffing this up?

Do you have a early mk4?
    If so need a mk3 suited reader.

Quote Originally Posted by HaydEn View Post
    Do you have a early mk4?
    If so need a mk3 suited reader.
    I've got an 02 model? Does this count as an early model or?
    Do you know why I wouldn't have power to pin 16 and is this the supply of power to the OBD reader usually or something else? Little confused why my unit is still powering up even though pin 16 has no voltage on it and have been told by numerous people now to check that pin for power.

No idea on the pin issue.

Mates handheld reader works on his mk3 and another mates early 4mo bora, but does not work on the R32.

Users Country Flag
    I've bought a number of ELM327 devices over the years.

One problem I had with the Jetta is the size of the enclosure surrounding the diagnostic port. Several of the ELM327 were too short, resulting in the body of the device hitting the dash fascia and preventing proper contact. An ELM327 with a longer receptacle, or a narrower body, works fine.

With android bluetooth works fine, but if you have iAnything make sure the device says it is bluetooth compatible with iOperatingSystems. If not you will need to go for wireless and create an adhoc wireless network. This has the disadvantage of preventing your devices accessing the internet if they are in range of the ELM327.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post

One problem I had with the Jetta is the size of the enclosure surrounding the diagnostic port. Several of the ELM327 were too short, resulting in the body of the device hitting the dash fascia and preventing proper contact. An ELM327 with a longer receptacle, or a narrower body, works fine.

With android bluetooth works fine, but if you have iAnything make sure the device says it is bluetooth compatible with iOperatingSystems. If not you will need to go for wireless and create an adhoc wireless network. This has the disadvantage of preventing your devices accessing the internet if they are in range of the ELM327.

HTH
    Yeh mate i had the same issue with the first one i bought it was very thick

But i checked pin 16 again fellas and turns out there is in fact power there

So anymore ideas that could be stopping this from working?

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by theresanothersteve View Post

HTH
    Perhaps one of these might help (OBD2 extension cable)?

Last edited by DV52; 28-05-2017 at 09:11 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Perhaps one of these might help (OBD2 extension cable)?..
    Yeah, but they're about the same cost as another ELM327. And I have this aversion to stuff on a cable rolling around near my feet! I've found even if you think you've got something fastened it comes unstuck at the worst possible time.

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Perhaps one of these might help (OBD2 extension cable)?

What benefit would an extension cable give me?
    Has anyone got anymore ideas to why this thing won't connect? It's very concerning and my next step is taking it to someone to figure out why this won't work and the last thing I want is to spend hours on some clown troubleshooting something he has no idea about

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast