Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OBDEleven - The new kid on the block!

Users Country Flag

OBDEleven - The new kid on the block!

I've been playing around with an OBDEleven (OBD11) device and I thought that I would share my observations with anyone who has an interest! My synopsis of the OBD11 is mainly in picture form!

OBD11 is a new diagnostic tool, but it uses a different architecture to the more established diagnostic tools like VCDS and VCP. Perhaps the major difference is the fact that ODB11 operates on an Android platform (version 4.1, or greater is needed) and it is an App. In my case, I went-out and purchased a cheap Lenova 7 inch tablet which ran Android 4.2.2 (less than $100)

Rather than the operating software being loaded onto a local laptop, only a small portion of the OBD11 software is resident locally and the database is accessed at OBD11 HQ via the internet. This means that a good internet connection is crucial to operate the device successfully. There is no cable between the dongle that fits over the OBD socket and the tablet/mobile phone on which the App is loaded - the connection between the two is via Bluetooth. Here's a picture of the dongle

Not having a cable connected dongle is great - I can sit comfortably outside the vehicle and do all the programming at the workbench!

Once the dongle is delivered, the first task is to pair the Bluetooth dongle with the tablet/mobile phone - easy enough with the Lenovo tablet (the PIN is 12345). After the dongle was successfully paired, and the OBD11 App is opened for the first time, the user must create a Google account, the details of which are used to register the user with OBD11 HQ and the device can then be used in earnest!

Here's a Picture of the main screen (after the tablet is connected to the dongle)

Pressing the "blue circle" at the lower RHS of the picture above gives the user access to a list of the control modules in the car (after the car is scanned)

In the following picture, I selected the "Central Electronics" module in the screen-shot above. The screen below is the Main Screen from which a number of subsequent screen shots below are sourced

Selecting "Advanced information" from the Main Screen produces the following:

Selecting the "Security access" from the Main Screen gives the following:

Selecting "Adaptation" in the main screen produces a list of the "Parent" adaptation channels in the control module (unlike VCDS which produces a flat list of both parent and child adaptation channels. Like VCP, the user is then able to choose from the Parent list by typing-in the relevant details. In the screen shot below I was looking for "LeuchteBR20 LA71" which is the rear outer taillight - so I typed "la".

Selecting Leuchte20BR LA71 gives the following list of "Child" adaption channels:

Selecting the Lichtfunkion B20 adaptation channel in the screen above gives a list of the possible settings as below

Selecting "Long Coding" from the Main Screen gives the following

From this screen it is also possible to access individual Bytes as per the picture below

selecting "Basic Settings" from the Main Screen gives the following

The following are random screens shots that hopefully give a "flavour" of the other capabilities of the device

OBD11 has a number of "Pre-canned" Tweaks for the mk7 - some of which are shown in the screen shot below

The user can also access a "Blog" via the software

I got the "PRO" unit so I can make changes to long coding, but those considering a purchase should acquaint themselves with the differences between the two models (I'm still trying to get my head around how these work).

I've been playing with this device for about two weeks, and I must say that I'm surprised at its versatility. It certainly has its disadvantages, but it does some functions better than VCDS (IMO). For example, a disadvantage of OBD11 is that it currently can't access slave control modules (like the RLS/RLHS/RLFS) - note: this has since changed for VCDS. An advantage is that with OBD11, the user can make changes to a number of adaptation channels from the one screen. Of course the other advantage of OBD11 is the price -Very inexpensive

Don

PS: Notwithstanding my good experience with OBD11, VCDS is still my go-to cable of choice. Just can't beat VCDS's intuitive software, its up-to-date database and it's ease of use - well done Uwe Ross!! Nevertheless, if you are after an inexpensive device with legitimate IP and with the potential for better functionality over time, then OBD11 is worth a look (IMO)
    Last edited by DV52; 16-02-2018 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Don't know my OBDs from my ODBs! - Thanks Adam
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Don,
    Is it available for all VAG models or just the MQB platform.
    Flipper Dog
    Now - T-Roc 140TSI, Audi Q5 40TDI
    Past VWs- Golf 6, 7 and 7.5, Touareg 7L and 7P, Passat B5.5, Polo MK3, Polo MK4 and GTI

Interesting!

Just need an English language setting & many will jump on.
    MY16 MK7 Golf GTI
    - Manual - Sunroof - Folding Mirrors - Lock/Unlock Chirp - 4x Indicator Flash - Traffic - MK7.5 LED Tail Lights with Sweeping Indicators - Dynablink Sweeping mirror LEDs - White LED's on rear rego plate -

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flipper Dog View Post
    Don,
    Is it available for all VAG models or just the MQB platform.

Flipperdog: Yes all VAG models. Here is the list of supported vehicles (as at present time)

Don

SUPPORTED MODELS:
    All VAG ( Audi | VW | Seat | Škoda ) models are supported! Some models until 1996 years need VAG 2X2 adapterVolkswagen :
    UP | Polo | Golf | Beetle | Bora | Corrado | Scirocco | Jetta | Vento | Touran | Tiguan | Eos | Fox | Lupo | Passat | Passat CC | Sharan | Touareg | Phaeton | Caddy | Multivan | Transporter | Multivan | Vento | Amarok
    Audi :
    80 | 90 | 100 | 200 | A1 | S1 | A2 | A3 | S3 | RS3 | A4 | S4 | RS4 | A5 | S5 | RS5 | A6 | S6 | RS6 | A7 | S7 | RS7 | A8 | S8 | RS8 | Q3 | SQ3 | Q5 | SQ5 | Q7 | SQ7 | TT | TTS | TT RS | R8 | R8 Spyder
    Škoda :
    Citigo | Fabia | Felicia | Roomster | Rapid | Octavia | Yeti | Superb | Praktik
    Seat :
    Mii | Ibiza | Toledo | Leon | Altea | Alhambra | Arosa | Cordoba | Exeo | Inca
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Note that it's OBD, not ODB. On Board Diagnostics. I've updated the subject line should people want to search for OBD.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Good review. Thanks.

Ive ordered one just for tinkering sake!

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeysrus View Post
    Good review. Thanks.

Ive ordered one just for tinkering sake!
    Ditto..

Users Country Flag
    Pity software is only android base.... OBDEleven - The new kid on the block!
    Harry
    MY15 RED Polo GTI 6C - with DA Pack

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Note that it's OBD, not ODB. On Board Diagnostics. I've updated the subject line should people want to search for OBD.
    Adam: Thanks for looking after me! I'll have to stop my mid-night posts!
    Don
    PS: I hope that I have rectified all my boo-boos
    Last edited by DV52; 28-03-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Users Country Flag

Interesting. I've tried to discuss this with users on other boards, but few seem knowledgable enough to discuss the intricacies of OBDeleven versus VCDS with respect to anything more complex than, say, coding tail lights. :/

Quote Originally Posted by DV52 View Post
    Rather than the operating software being loaded onto a local laptop, only a small portion of the OBD11 software is resident locally and the database is accessed at OBD11 HQ via the internet.
    This is the first I've seen mentioned about the necessity of a network connection. Is this required at all times for the operation of OBDeleven? Or is it only to update the database every once in a while? I do most of my VCDS work in an underground parking garage, where there is neither cellular data nor Wi-Fi.

I've been playing with this device for about two weeks, and I must say that I'm surprised at its versatility. It certainly has its disadvantages, but it does some functions better than VCDS (IMO). For example, a disadvantage of OBD11 is that it currently can't access slave control modules (like the RLS/RLHS/RLFS).

I was aware of this major limitation.

What about other these other things?

– Does OBDeleven have something similar to Advanced Measuring Values? Can I, for example, view the X-/Y-axis mirror position on controller 52 the way I can on VCDS?

– I understand OBDeleven keeps a log of running adaptation and coding changes, similar to the /debug/codinglog.txt on VCDS. Is there a way to export this to a text file, CSV, or otherwise for backup purposes? I know it is not capable of producing full adaptation maps, but I think being able to export a record of your original settings would be a good safeguard.

Thanks for the insight!

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast