Support VWWC

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OBDEleven - The new kid on the block!

So you have to pay for the branded dongle, then pay for the pro version of the app, and then pay for virtual credits which are spent each time you re-code a module??? Did these guys go to the iRacing school of business?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ryan: LOL -Alas my business education was at a remedial level (which explains a lot)!

Seriously, most folk (I suspect) simply pay the additional money for the Pro version up-front (it's an extra $20 from the Aussie distributor, so $10.99 cheaper this way than buying it as an In-App purchase). At an all-up cost of $79 - it's a real cheap alternative for a device that doesn't support IP theft IMO

As for paying for vitual credits, this only applies if you want to use the one-click Apps. You get "credits" for free as follows:

• after new account registration all users get their first 11 free credits.
    • You can get up to 6 free credits everyday.
    • You get an additional 5 credits for opening ads.

In addition you can buy Credits as follow (but why would anyone do this?):

• 10 credits price is 1.49€ +VAT.
    • 100 credits price is 11.99€ +VAT.
    • 500 credits price is 47.99€ +VAT.

I currently have over 270 credits which were all gained for free (and I DON'T watch their ads) - I will never use them, so they have absolutely no value to me

As I said, the only time that you need to use credits is if you are using the one-click Apps (which I never use). Normal coding/adaptation channel changes, or diagnostic functions don't use-up any credits.

My suspicion is that those that use Apps (and therefore use-up credits) are those that are not confident using the OBD device (i.e. newbies). I also suspect that after users get a little experience, App usage drops substantially. With your experience, I very much doubt that you will use Apps!

I tried a simple App once just to see the function in operation. The biggest problem with OBD11 Apps (IMO) is that there is no historical record of the actual changes that are made to the car. All that happens is that the history file records that the App was done - but not what changes were made.

Don

PS: IMO - OBD11 dongles have their target market (i.e. it's a good entry level tool). But having used both, I still prefer my trusty HEX-NET cable/dongle from Ross Tech - it runs like a cut cat compared to the tortoise speed of OBD11!
    Last edited by DV52; 25-10-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

Thanks for clarifying all that, Don. I was under the impression that I had to remember (or schedule) to open the app each day to get a free credit.

I noticed on one of their webpages that they have the price of upgrading to Pro on special (10 EUR), so for the moment it's cheaper to buy the dongle then upgrade. (ed: actually that's long expired now)

I'm only looking at this tool as being an option that can enable VIM on a new/used car I'm looking at. VCDS refuse to support this on moral grounds. I essentially want to be able to mirror my phone to the display for Google Maps navigation while driving (which would require VIM). That said mobile apps certainly are more convenient than having a Windows PC nearby. I purchased a tablet/laptop hybrid a few years ago mainly for this purpose - only I can't remember where it is exactly right now.

PS this thread might be better in the VCDS subforum rather than just the Mk7 one.
    Last edited by Ryan_R; 27-10-2016 at 09:25 AM.

Ryan: Yes, I agree that RT's "in-principle" objection to VIM is difficult to understand - VCDS cable users are assumed to be responsible enough to make moral decisions about a range of other issues, but apparently we can't do the same where VIM is concerned!!.

Hope that you are aware that the VIM App from OBD11 will cost you 100 Credits!! I will gladly donate all my 270-ish credits to you when you get your dongle (as a small gesture of appreciation for your assistance during my early VCDS days) - if you can tell me how to do the transfer!!

Don

PS: not sure about moving this thread to the VCDS sub forum - whilst VCDS and OBD11 generally target the same tool-space, they are competitor products. But I'm certain that wiser minds than ours (mine?) will make these momentous decisions!
    Last edited by DV52; 26-10-2016 at 10:30 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.

I'm under the impression the subforum was named VagCom (later VCDS) only because nothing else worthwhile really existed in the space at the time, not because it was sponsored or anything. I could be wrong, but I suspect if it were sponsored it would be located with all the other sponsor subforums (such as Car Care Products, etc), in which case competitors wouldn't share the same subforum.

With the Mk5/6 platform and RNS510 we had a custom firmware DVD that did the trick, much easier.

If users could transfer credits I'd just have to create 9 or 10 accounts and transfer the 11 free credits to the first one. Appreciate the sentiment but not required.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_R View Post
    I'm under the impression the subforum was named VagCom (later VCDS) only because nothing else worthwhile really existed in the space at the time, not because it was sponsored or anything. I could be wrong, but I suspect if it were sponsored it would be located with all the other sponsor subforums (such as Car Care Products, etc), in which case competitors wouldn't share the same subforum.
    Sounds like a fair assumption. The VCDS section should probably be renamed to "Vehicle Coding/Programming Tools" or some such. Might suggest that to Aaron.
    Last edited by AdamD; 27-10-2016 at 08:56 AM.
    2008 MkV Volkswagen Golf R32 DSG
    2005 MkV Volkswagen Golf 2.0 FSI Auto
    Sold: 2015 8V Audi S3 Sedan Manual
    Sold: 2010 MkVI Volkswagen Golf GTI DSG

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
    Might suggest that to Aaron.
    What a great idea...

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag
    Hi guys.

My OBD11 dongle (pro version) arrived last week, but my car has been in for warranty repair for the last week, so I've been unable to register/login yet.

Can anybody tell me if I can install the program & register/login without the dongle connected to the car & powered on/paired?
    Or does this need to happen at the same time?

Main reason for asking - I'd love to be earning free credits even though I'm unable to use them yet.... because as soon as I get the car back, I'm planning on using up some credits with a few programming tweaks through apps.

(I haven't managed to steal my partners android device yet, to check this for myself.... but I also don't want to try it if it's going to mess up my registration at all, and cause issues when I finally do get to plug it into the car)
    2016 Skoda Octavia 162TSI RS Wagon
    (Race Blue, DSG, Tech pack, Comfort pack, 18" Black pack, panoramic sunroof, auto tailgate)

Previous: 2012 Mazda 6 Diesel // 2001 Subaru Liberty STi // 1991 Subaru Liberty RS Turbo // VK Holden Commodore // Subaru Leone // Mazda RX-808 // Mitsubishi Magna // 1971 Mazda R100 Coupe

Users Country Flag
    Can you enable traffic on the sat Nav with OBD11? We have a couple of golf's in the family and I was looking at a HEX cable to do this. No doubt ill fiddle with other adaptions once I get it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjamesred View Post
    Can you enable traffic on the sat Nav with OBD11? We have a couple of golf's in the family and I was looking at a HEX cable to do this. No doubt ill fiddle with other adaptions once I get it though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JimmyJames: Of course it can be enabled with OBD11 (see below)!

Don

PS: If you buy a GENUINE VCDS cable (don't support IP theft by buying a clone cable)- see my instructions HERE

NOTE: INSTRUCTIONS BELOW FOR MQB PLATFORM VEHICLES ONLY - i.e. GOLF MK7

In-Cabin Procedure

1. After the changes above have been made, reset the infotainment unit as follows: Press the on/off button on the radio until the unit switches off and keep holding down the button for at least 10 seconds - until the unit switches on again
    2. For TMC to work, "TP" and "RDS" must be activated in the set-up menu for the FM radio (TMC data is transmitted on the RF carrier signal for selected FM stations in each Aussie capital city).
    3. It may take some time for the new facility to be established and for the initial set of traffic reports to be downloaded. In my case, the wait time was over an hour, but others have reported longer times.
    Last edited by DV52; 06-11-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast