Thread: OBD11 valid apps for Aussie VW matrix available?

Users Country Flag

OBD11 valid apps for Aussie VW matrix available?

Apologies if this has been covered previously, a quick search hasn't given me any answers.

Is there a list or matrix of 'valid' apps that OBD11 users can enable on their Aussie VW models (which no doubt will vary model to model) without throwing error codes?

For example, I tried enabling Efficiency Assist Display on my Golf R 7.5, and it bought up a (17) Dashboard error U111000. Turning the feature back to off (at no cost, thanks OBD11) and clearing the error code, the error didn't return. It would be nice to know what apps / features can be safely enabled without raising error codes.
    I'm still working on another error code, but not sure which app raised it, but I'll get there. Side issue: Bit disappointing that OBD11 asks for credits to turn off (most) features that you just used credits to turn on.
    Piloting a Mk7.5 Golf R Special Edition.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered previously, a quick search hasn't given me any answers.

Is there a list or matrix of 'valid' apps that OBD11 users can enable on their Aussie VW models (which no doubt will vary model to model) without throwing error codes?

For example, I tried enabling Efficiency Assist Display on my Golf R 7.5, and it bought up a (17) Dashboard error U111000. Turning the feature back to off (at no cost, thanks OBD11) and clearing the error code, the error didn't return. It would be nice to know what apps / features can be safely enabled without raising error codes.
    I'm still working on another error code, but not sure which app raised it, but I'll get there. Side issue: Bit disappointing that OBD11 asks for credits to turn off (most) features that you just used credits to turn on.
    Using apps to do things is fraught with what you have found. Using coding creates a history file so you know what you changed. There are heaps of forums on the net with the info you require so mummy google will hold your hand

Despite some apps showing, they may not work on your car depending on which hardware and software it has. Also some Golf stuff works on Tiguans but not vice versa
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Yeah, I should have gone the long coding route from day one. I bleed hex, just tell me if you want little or big endian output. I've lots of experience in hacking embedded systems that way, but assumed there would be heavy protection by VW on making changes at that level. Very surprising to see that isn't the case for a lot of things. Time to upgrade the ODB11 to pro and get hexing!

On another note, nice to see that the ever efficient Germans have maximised memory usage by utilising bit level coding, none of this single function to a byte wastefulness I see in countless other systems. Their coders must have, like me, grown up in 8-bit days where 16kB or so was all you had to play with.
    Piloting a Mk7.5 Golf R Special Edition.

Users Country Flag

@odin: hmm...........endianness ain't needed for this stuff. Just need basic hex-to-binary conversions for long-code changes.

And if your car uses the newer style UDS/ODX protocols, you don't need any base16/2 arithmetic on some modules because they don't have an active long-code string and the adaptation channel database is ALL descriptive (no numbers)!!

And there is "protection" - it takes the form of security codes to get access to adaptation channels and some long-code- and no descriptors on some Bits - and something called "SFD" on the newest modules which require a token from VW

And there is a kind-of Byte based functions on some modules - for example, some Byte allocations in the MIB (Infotainment) are function based - albeit Bit assignments are still single software switch based.

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 25-01-2022 at 01:43 PM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.