Thread: Auto-Scan Fault Codes

Users Country Flag

Auto-Scan Fault Codes

Hi Folks,

I'd like some advice on following up fault codes generated in a VCDS Auto-Scan log.
    Is there a website/person the log can be forwarded to for advice or should I visit my local VW Service Centre?
    Last edited by OzTrekker; 24-04-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    MY11.5 MKVI Volkswagen Golf GTI | 5 DR | Deep Black Pearl | Manual | Bi-Xenons (Incl LED's) | 18" Detroits | Black Leather Package | RNS510 Sat Nav | MDI | Bluetooth | R Tails | P3 Gauge

Users Country Flag
    write the fault codes on here! we will help you!
    VOLKSWAGEN TECHNICIAN - 16 YEARS OF PAIN..
    VCDS CODING- FAULT DIAGNOSIS - PRE PURCHASE INSPECTIONS- REPAIRS
    9W2 BT KITS -$300 - 9W7 BT KITS - $450 - CANBUS UPGRADE $150
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thank you "vdubmotorworx".

I have three (3).
    All were apparent prior to my recent 30,000kms service.
    I was surprised/disappointed that the VW Service Centre did not identify or action them.

Address 16: Steering wheel (J527)
    2 Faults Found:
    147462 - Terminal 15
    B1148 12 [009] - Short to Plus
    226057 - Ignition Starter Switch; Terminal S
    B1147 F1 [008] - Open or Short to GND

Address 37: Navigation
    1 Fault Found:
    00862 - Antenna for GPS Navigation (R50/R52)
    007 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
    MY11.5 MKVI Volkswagen Golf GTI | 5 DR | Deep Black Pearl | Manual | Bi-Xenons (Incl LED's) | 18" Detroits | Black Leather Package | RNS510 Sat Nav | MDI | Bluetooth | R Tails | P3 Gauge

Users Country Flag
    The Nav fault is nothing to worry about, may be from when the Nav was fitted, but its sporadic and If you have no Nav issues then forget that one.

But the ignition switch faults I have seen before, have you ever noticed that it radio turns itself on and off for no reason or the door locks working on there own??.

Usually when this fault is logged the customer complaint is radio turning off whilst driving or auto locking working for no reason. Its the electronics part of the ignition switch that's faulty, basically telling the car you are pulling the key out of the ignition when you have not.

Usually most techs will do a service and check fault codes, if there are faults and they don't seem to be related or important and the customer has not had any complaints then they should erase them when they exit the programme, looks like your tech was slack not to bother giving the car a clean fault log after the service.....

Keep a eye on the radio, I've seen this fault on golf 5 and 6 and eos......VDUB.....
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for the diagnosis.

I haven't had any radio issues but this may explain why the auto open function works intermittently when the key is removed from the ignition.

Users Country Flag
    Yeah, faulty ignition switches are common. Have done a few in Golf 6s.

It shouldn't give you any starting issues, but it'll more than likely show up a few odd-ball electrical issues like the radio turning off and on whenever it feels like it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by OzTrekker View Post
    Thanks for the diagnosis.

I haven't had any radio issues but this may explain why the auto open function works intermittently when the key is removed from the ignition.
    Yep that's it, take it back and warranty should sort it out....here to help mate!..
    BRISBANE / GOLD COAST

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    Yeah, faulty ignition switches are common. Have done a few in Golf 6s.

It shouldn't give you any starting issues, but it'll more than likely show up a few odd-ball electrical issues like the radio turning off and on whenever it feels like it.
    Is this the ignition barrel itself or an actual electrical part in the column?
    I have same issue on a 2011 ED35

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webup View Post
    Is this the ignition barrel itself or an actual electrical part in the column?
    I have same issue on a 2011 ED35
    @webup: The " Terminal S" switch on the lock barrel doesn't actually participate in the starting process; it's a set of 2 x normally-open contacts at the very end of lock that close when the key is fully inserted into the barrel.

So, the Terminal S switch's purpose is to electrically sense the act of the driver physically inserting/withdrawing the shaft of the key. It's used by auxiliary systems like the door locks and the display on dash to confirm that the driver has removed the keys from the barrel when exiting the car (and for other things too)

The ignition barrel is the physical lock that converts the key profile into OFF, IGNITION- ON/OFF, ENGINE-ON/OFF positions and (depending on the model) it can include a multi-way electrical switch that converts these physical positions into corresponding electrical statuses. On some cars it can also include the sensing coil that reads the security aspects of the key (on the key fob part).

Don
    Last edited by DV52; 16-04-2021 at 09:54 AM.
    Please don't PM to ask questions about coding, or vehicle repairs. The better place to deal with these matters is on-line, in the forum proper. That way you get the benefit of the expertise of the wider forum! Thank you.