Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roomster 1.9 Tdi modifications

Yes the tune is from Powerchip. It was done live on the dyno in front of me, with all questions I posed answered in some detail. I thought the result was outstanding.

Disclaimer: it was done free of charge... part of a long (10+ years) history where in AutoSpeed stories I have been heavily ciritical of Powerchip. I asked them if they wanted to show what they could now do and they sure did do just that.

The reason you haven't got shorter braking distance is probably due to the bigger rotors, heavier wheels and tyres creating longer braking distance, with the better pads restoring the status quo.

The greenstuffs would have been better choice, but as long as you are aware of the characteristics of the reds there's no real problem.

Have you still got the Pog GTI?

We should pair you with APMitchell - god only knows what the pair of you would conjure up together

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

The reason you haven't got shorter braking distance
    I don't remember saying that? Stopping distances in normal use are far shorter than with the standard brakes. Emergency (ABS) stopping distances are the same (or thereabouts) - that distance is not really dependent on brakes*, but instead on tyre/road grip.

(*ie you need only sufficient brakes to lock the wheels)

The Polo GTi is for sale (very cheap!): http://tiny.cc/xweoh

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Edgar View Post
    Yes, it's an interesting point. After modifying quite a few cars' brakes, I think it's because you can brake so progressively to the point just before lock-up (or ABS actuation). In an emergency ABS stop (which I tested), the stopping distance was (of course) no different to the standard brakes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian Edgar View Post
    I don't remember saying that? Stopping distances in normal use are far shorter than with the standard brakes. Emergency (ABS) stopping distances are the same (or thereabouts) - that distance is not really dependent on brakes*, but instead on tyre/road grip.

(*ie you need only sufficient brakes to lock the wheels)

The Polo GTi is for sale (very cheap!): 2006 VOLKSWAGEN POLO GTI 9N MY2006 Private Cars For Sale in NSW - carsales.com.au
    Maybe I misread that bit

2008 Blue Graphite GTI DSG with Latte leather.

Did you mention the power it's putting out?

(or did I miss that?)

i like volkswagens
    My blog: http://garagefiftythree.blogspot.com.au/

I guess I wasn't very clear.

No brake upgrade will make a difference to the emergency stopping distance (ie with car ABS'ing), so of course my larger discs and different pads / calipers haven't changed that.

My normal stopping distances, where I am modulating the pedal, and including multiple hard stops made one after the other, are clearly much shorter.

Did you mention the power it's putting out?
    Up around 20 per cent over most of the rev range.

Users Country Flag
    I roughly calculate you are indirectly responsible for me blowing up several engines, turbo's, drivetrains, diffs and even being banned from my surf club back in my youth when I sooped the bejesus out of the rescue rubber ducky outboard for my mate who raced them. There's also the matter of all those many , many unused Jaycar parts. It is really amazing and outstanding.

Julian, do you stand by them Powerchip) in light of recent internet forum comments in other places? It seems very difficult to get a balanced view on this.

Julian, do you stand by them Powerchip) in light of recent internet forum comments in other places? It seems very difficult to get a balanced view on this
    Yes:

AutoSpeed Blog » Blog Archive » In cooking chips, things have radically changed

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast