Support VWWC

Thread: Fabia 77TSI OIL IN THE PLENUM CHAMBER

Users Country Flag

Fabia 77TSI OIL IN THE PLENUM CHAMBER

Hey guys
    I'm slowly pulling the good bits off my written off 2011 Fabia 77TSI.
    Today I removed the inlet manifold/plenum chamber and found a pool, maybe half a cup, of treacle like engine oil, in the lower part of the plenum chamber
    There is a passage right next to the number four inlet port that clearly connects to the oily bits in the head.
    A matching passage with a pinhole valve arrangement exists on the manifold and I reckon this is how the oil found its way to the plenum chamber.
    Unless this is an anti pollution feature that has gone silly wrong or was badly designed I can't figure out why they made it possible for oil to find its way to the plenum.
    Gravity is keeping the oil pool in the bottom of the plenum and I don't think it would get sucked up in quantity into the cylinders but I imagine the pool was getting deeper as time went on.
    Oil residue on the back of the block indicates oil has been seeping through this oil passage for some time.
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Greg

Users Country Flag
    I would expect to see some in there.

I would look at perhaps a faulty PCV as the culprit.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    I would expect to see some in there.

I would look at perhaps a faulty PCV as the culprit.
    So its "NORMAL" for a 77TSI to have an oil puddle in the plenum???
    Thats mildly disturbing.............
    Thanks for the clue about the PCV valve.
    I gotta get myself a workshop manual for the Fabia.
    I don't know what a PCV for this looks like nor where its hiding.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Users Country Flag
    All engines breath a bit of oil back into the intake. Some more so than others.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Umai Naa!! View Post
    All engines breath a bit of oil back into the intake. Some more so than others.
    Yesterday I used two cans of spray degreaser to clean all the oil off the manifold interior plenum chamber and intercooler element.
    This is a much bigger problem than I originally reported!
    Whilst I firstly drained about half a cupful of oil from the manifold there was as much again clinging to the inside of everything upstream of the throttle body!
    The O ring that was meant to seal the offending passage from the head to the manifold joint was not sealing well and some of the oil was feeding down the back of the block.
    The oil pooled in the low point of the plenum just past the throttle body but the pool, if it became deeper, would block the inflow of air so a big rev would suck a quantity of oil into the motor. This aspect kept the level of the oil lake more or less 2cm deep.
    I suppose I should be grateful that the intercooler element probably broke up any inrush of oil so each cylinder took in droplets rather than a gulp of liquid oil.
    Can I point out that my Sep 2011 build Fabia has only 41 thou on the clock and that I'd say this oil ingestion has been going on for some time so whatever caused it started when the car was VERY young.
    I wonder how many 77TSI's out there have the same problem and the owners don't know?
    Cheers,
    Greg

77TSI oil

Hi to anyone who can help
    My 2010 Golf 77tsi has started running rough while idling but only during a cold start. I read some info about cleaning the sensor on the air intake so I undid the plastic air intake chamber at the turbo end and lifted it off the throttle opening. To my surprise oil dripped out while removing the component. After a good inspection, I noticed there were drops of oil at the throttle opening. It's coming from inside the turbo as the oil was seen inside the turbo's outlet pipe.
    I wiped the oil from the intake and*throttle. I used MAF cleaner on the sensor and put it back together. I waited until next morning and the car started good with an even idling. Now after a short drive, the oil must be back as the last cold start was rough and again idling too low. The oil seepage has been happening for a while now as I had noticed oil around the throttle body previously. It's been making it's way down the back of the engine and onto the CV joint. During the last service, I asked the VW tech if he could look at the oil on the drive shaft as I thought it was the axle/gearbox seal. The tech said it wasn't a seal and all is ok. I now know where the oil is coming from.
    I am hesitant in taking to VW service as I've spent a lot of money lately on various issues and seem to have more problems after each VW repair. Below are the recent jobs by various VW service centres.
    Shudder in second gear* - The DSG clutch packs replaced twice.
    Loss of power while driving on freeway - Spark plugs leads changed, ECU updated*and throttle cleaned.
    Noisy timing chain during cold start - Timing chain and tensioner replacement (plus it went back again to have the timing chain cover replaced due to an oil seal leak.
    I bought*the car*new, drive it carefully and always look after it. I'm getting a bit peeved with the issues now and was wondering what others have to say. Is it an easy fix this time around or something major?
    Any input would be really appreciated.
    Ian