Thread: fab or fab vrs ball joints for 9N3 polo

Users Country Flag

fab or fab vrs ball joints for 9N3 polo

Hi,

I'm over on the Polo 9N3 gti side. I'm going to be modding the lower control arms and ball joints for camber adjustment. It just occurred to me that your ball joints probably fit our control arm. I have seen on ebay that the fabias ones do. So I was just wondering if anyone in Sydney has an old/new spare off a car preferably a vrs that I could just have a quick squiz at to see if it'll fit my control arm, and also if the joint itself is different in a good way eg sits the joint wider for more camber or forward for more castor compared to the OE 9N3 one.

thanks
    sam

Users Country Flag
    going by briskoda, the superpro roll centre adjuster ball joints (to suit PQ35) will fit the PQ25 chassis but you need to elongate the middle bolt hole. AFAIK the 9N polo chassis is virtually identical to the 5J fabia chassis. I have access to one still if you want to look at it to compare, but I believe they are mostly interchangeable.

the superpro ball joints have elongated holes to allow for camber adjustment. that said, youll be adjusting it from the bottom, so check for clearance in the wheel arch as youre probably moving it out.

http://www.superpro.com.au/find/roll...999500971/vid-

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    thanks mate. I had seen these a while back but had forgotten about them. The only problem I could see with these is that the ball joint is central to the assembly. On mine the ball joint is located forward of the cenreline of the assembly for more castor, so I might loose castor with these. Then again I do have 5/1/2 degrees castor as is, and if I do loose a little I could maybe get it back with my rear LCA offset bushes.
    Do you know if the taper profile of these joints will fit our hubs?
    Rollcentre correction usually implies a taller joint stub. They don't look particularly long on these. Do you know if they do move your pivot down relative to the hub?
    appreciate the help. sorry for all the return questions.

sam

Hi again. Sorry I have no idea if 5J Mk 1 skoda fabias were ever sold here, but in case they were here is the progress I've made on fitting the Audi TT ball joints to Polo 9N3/fab 5J control arms:

DIY adjustable camber ball joints mod

Users Country Flag
    great outcome!! plenty of nay-sayers, but dont worry about them lol

thanks mate. Yeah its really transformed the car because not only is it likely to get 2/1/4 of negative now once I sort the subframes, but I get about a 25mm wider track, and the ball joints have improved the roll centre eg I can now lower about another 15mm and retain OEM roll centre height. Pretty stoked with it considering it cost about $90 in parts.

Users Country Flag

Seen the results first hand last weekend at Ringwood State Hillclimb round. The car was great in the corners and almost pulled off the class win against the mega power HSV's.
    2012 Fabia II VRS Estate - APR stage 2 tune, Custom 2.5" turbo back full stainless exhaust with ceramic coated dump pipe, Harding Performance Cold air intake, Wagner Tuning Competition Intercooler, GFB DV+ diverter valve, Braille B2317RP battery, Eibach pro kit springs, Bilstein B8 shocks, Harding Performance F+R ARB, Super Pro bushes, Porsche 986 Boxster S front brake calipers, 330x28mm front rotors, Ferodo DS2500 front pads and Remsa rear pads, Enkei RPF1 17x8 et.35 with 235/40R17 Yokohama AD08R tyres, Maxton front splitter and Superskoda fender flares.