Support VWWC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine check light

Engine check light

More fun this last weekend. On the way to Sydney, had the check engine light flicker on and off (not on and fixed)...
    Stopped and checked bay, oil etc. no indication of any issue, and stayed off at lower speed (80-95) so continued on.
    Left it in Sydney with an issue with some of the coil sets. Seems inconsistent.
    Time hopefully will tell and be resolved.

Has over 66k kms, almost no issue prior to this.

Skoda roadside were great - organised the tow, arranged a hire car (high one way cost, but at least transport) and offered to return the car home when fixed. Hope it doesn't take too long.

Difinity

1.2L? Most likely the leads or corrosion in the coil itself.
    Volks Handy
    Servicing - Repairs - Diagnostics - Mobile fault scanning/clearing - A/c work
    10 years experience working for Audi/VW/Skoda
    Now in Perth NOR, Western Australia.

1.4 twincharge. Dealer says there is oil fouling the spark plugs. Refuse to fix until oil consumption tests completed, but I live 380km/s from where the car is. VAG/Skoda have pulled the plug on the hire car too...

Difinity

Got the dealers report now:
    Says compression on cyl 1 & 2 is 220 psi, and on 3 & 4 is 210 psi; noting that these are correct to spec.
    All the Briskoda blogs I can find say compression ratio should be 10:1, giving an approx compression standard of 170-180 psi.
    Engine shows oil fouling plugs. Has been 'cleaned' and req oil consumption test.

I'm not sure I can trust the engine again though - if there is oil fouling the ignition sufficiently to shut the engine down into 'emergency mode', it shouldn't matter how much oil is being used - it's in the wrong place!

Been without the car 5 weeks now and not started to fix yet. Bloody not happy right now...

Difinity

Users Country Flag
    There were some revised spark plugs to help combat this issue that VW/Audi/Skoda released. The new spark plugs are shorter to move them out of the way of the fuel injector (normally they foul due to fuel spraying on them because they stuck out to far). 1st ive heard of the plugs being fouled with oil though.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Spark plugs and a revised oil breather pipe is the solution for CAV engines.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by zei20t View Post
    Spark plugs and a revised oil breather pipe is the solution for CAV engines.
    Plus revised oil squirters for the underside of the pistons.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Plus the plugs need to be changed a lot more often than the book says. Like every 30,000km.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Update:
    Compression suddenly down from 220 psi on cyl 2 to 108. Dealer is now (finally pulling the engine down). 7 weeks on sat and counting...

Difinity

Still no car. 10 weeks on now. Car is in Canberra, where they found a sudden drop in compression on one cylinder. Have reinstated a hire car until mine is available. Waiting on parts now - not sure which parts but would not be surprised if that means near new engine...

Difinity

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast