Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine check light

Users Country Flag

Under warranty, it'll be a brand new engine.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Latest advice is a rebuild. Might finally get the car back in the next few weeks. Asked about a new crate engine but was told that the bore was not damaged and it was to be rebuilt.
    Asked about a full replacement car too. They didn't think that was funny.
    Next is to get car back and go down ACCC/lawyer path I think...

Difinity

Users Country Flag
    To be fair, there's nothing wrong with the car itself which would warrant a complete new car. Besides, the engine failures in these relatively common, so it's not like you've bought a dud.

The engine's just the engine. If they feel it can be reubilt with new pistons and consumables, it'll be fine. There's enough documentation at dealer level to build one to the correct specs, and if the technician's done a good enough job, you'll struggle to tell it's ever been apart.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

My concern is that, given the commonality of the failures, and the service bulletin and change to components and software which were released prior to my car being built (was a special order and took six months from order to finish), the engine should have been fixed before it was delivered. VW built and sold it to me knowing full well that it was likely to fail within the warranty period. Then they have taken more than 11 weeks to repair it.
    In the meantime, I'm still paying lease, and will continue to do so as though it was a new car without this fault.

Difinity

Update:
    Sorry Umai, engine's a bloody dud. Must disagree too - it is completely unacceptable to have a modern engine fail in this way and so early in its life cycle. It is even more unacceptable to take 12 weeks to 'fix' it. If I wanted a car that spends more time in the workshop than on the road, I'd have bought an old Jag or something.
    As for the update - back on a tow truck just 1,190 kms post build with the ECR (engine light) back on. Dealer confirms a misfire (cyl 1 this time), but bloody claims that Skoda 'allows for a misfire after a rebuild'. Reality is a rough running car, with an uneven vibration you can feel in the wheel and seat, about +20% increase in fuel use (was 5.9-6.1, now >8-10 l/100), and seems to have lost power. My 'seat-of-the-pants' dyno thinks about 10-15%...
    Would have been better if they'd just replaced the engine in the first place. This bloody saga has some time to run yet, and if lost all confidence in the car and VW in general.

Difinity

Users Country Flag
    That's very disappointing. Let's hope they sort you out properly this time. Whilst I understand the inclination to spend the least money to fix warranty problems, surely a satisfied customer who might recommend - or who knows, buy another VAG product - is worth more to a company in the long run.
    Now gone.... 2012 Skoda Fabia RS

Yeah. I reckon I'll probably never consider a VAG product again, and I'm still considering a long legal battle to recover my costs and losses.

Difinity

Quote Originally Posted by Difinity View Post
    Update:
    Sorry Umai, engine's a bloody dud. Must disagree too - it is completely unacceptable to have a modern engine fail in this way and so early in its life cycle. It is even more unacceptable to take 12 weeks to 'fix' it. If I wanted a car that spends more time in the workshop than on the road, I'd have bought an old Jag or something.
    As for the update - back on a tow truck just 1,190 kms post build with the ECR (engine light) back on. Dealer confirms a misfire (cyl 1 this time), but bloody claims that Skoda 'allows for a misfire after a rebuild'. Reality is a rough running car, with an uneven vibration you can feel in the wheel and seat, about +20% increase in fuel use (was 5.9-6.1, now >8-10 l/100), and seems to have lost power. My 'seat-of-the-pants' dyno thinks about 10-15%...
    Would have been better if they'd just replaced the engine in the first place. This bloody saga has some time to run yet, and if lost all confidence in the car and VW in general.

Difinity
    I'm staggered to read this ongoing saga and whilst I'm not in agreeance about it being unacceptable for an engine to fail in this way (any manufactured item is a chance to fail) the process to fix the problem has been nothing short of disgraceful.

I would not have been as patient as you, I would have been directly corresponding with the MD of both Skoda Aust and VW Aust many weeks ago. What seems to be happening here is total incompetence in the administrative process and now also in the repair process.

I would be heading straight to the top right now asking for a new engine and compensation for your financial and other losses.

Cheers

George
    06 Jetta 2.0TFSI Killed by a Lexus!
    09 Eos 2.0TSI DSG Loved this car but has now gone to a new home!!
    14 EOS 2.0 TSI has arrived!

I have. VW have refused. My lawyer is assisting now...

As for engine failure - given the engine is nearly new (<3yrs), and that VW acknowledged an overheating and oil issue in a 2012 service bulletin (not for public release no less), and my car was built in 2013, it is totally unacceptable that the same, known and acknowledged problem should occur, and not be properly addressed. My attitude would be different if the evidence clearly suggested this was a one off, in which case an effective and fast repair would have been appropriate. In fact, my Indy repairer quotes a 100% failure rate for this motor, going back to 2005, and my dealer agrees. The service manager said in person that they expect to see this issue somewhere between 5-95,000 ks for this engine.
    While the dealer may be under some legal obligation to not be transparent about the repair, VW certainly is not and has refused access to the repair report, stating that as its a warranty repair they are not obliged to disclose. Advice was that a discovery hearing would most likely be vigorously defended as well - so I cannot afford to sue in my own right. We'll see what happens after the f**king engine fails again...

Difinity

Truth is that if I was not tied into a lease contract where the repaired car is worth less than my payout, I'd have sold it 3 weeks ago and got something not VW instead.
    It is however the appalling and offensive approach taken by VW re their liability in this whole bloody episode which has upset me more than anything else.

For the mechs out here:
    As far as I'm concerned, breaking one piston and failing the engine is not properly repaired by replacing just that one piston. Now I have 3 Pistons with 67,000 k's wear and one with 1,200 K's wear. No wonder there is a vibration. Also, modern engines are not supposed to be expected to fail because of an inherent design fault. VW should have replaced the whole engine immediately given the circumstances.

Difinity

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast