Thread: Virtual Cockpit Issue

Users Country Flag

Virtual Cockpit Issue

Hi all,

I've had my car about 6 months now with no issues until this evening.

Tonight, horizontal red lines started to appear all over the virtual cockpit display - started off with just a couple of lines at the bottom of the display, but progressively got a LOT worse. Its almost unreadable.

Seems like a connector issue but I have no idea - can you get behind the screen to the connector?

Anyone else had a similar issue?

I was going to call the dealer in the morning and see if they can get me in ASAP. A car without a working speedo is probably illegal to drive? I can still read it atm - changing view modes helps a bit there, but if it fails completely it could be tricky

Cheers,
    Dean

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Tried it this morning and the lines were still there, however I lightly tapped on the display and when lightly tapping on the left hand side the lines went away.

Mentioned that to my wife and she told me that just before it started doing that she had given it a light clean (microfibre cloth). Must be a pretty touchy connector they are using. Has anyone here removed one of these displays before? I'm curious on the connector detail and whether its easy to get to.

cheers,
    Dean

Users Country Flag
    I am lead to believe they are fiber optic cables / connector.
    As your car is under a 5yr Warranty, let the dealer know and they will repair under warranty.

Best not tell them that your Wife might have been heavy handed with the display prior to the fault occurring.

Best to be "VERY CAREFUL" with the Virtual Cockpit, especially when the wife gets her hands on it...

Additional info; MIB1 / MIB2 unit upgrade and Virtual cockpit retrofit - Skoda Superb Mk III - BRISKODA
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    They have both an optical cable (for streaming map data) and also a regular copper wire electrical connector for all other traditional cluster signals.
    From the front the main electrical connector is at the left. It has a locking bale arm though it's unlikely to come loose.
    Definitely engage the dealer to have it replaced.
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    They have both an optical cable (for streaming map data) and also a regular copper wire electrical connector for all other traditional cluster signals.
    From the front the main electrical connector is at the left. It has a locking bale arm though it's unlikely to come loose.
    Definitely engage the dealer to have it replaced.
    Thanks - yeah I'll be sure to mention it at the first service and get them to have a look at it. We haven't had the issue reappear as yet - will be super careful dusting that display.

Cheers,
    Dean

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DeanC View Post
    Thanks - yeah I'll be sure to mention it at the first service and get them to have a look at it. We haven't had the issue reappear as yet - will be super careful dusting that display.

Cheers,
    Dean
    Dean, are you aware that you can take the car in for Warranty Related issues at anytime. You do not have to wait until the 12mth service. In fact, it is part of the warranty wording to ensure that you contact the dealer in a "reasonable" amount of time for them to action. Just a heads up!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)