Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Sizes

Tire Sizes

My Superb is currently running 235/40R19 tyres. I've seen some discussion about some people moving up in width, to something like a 245/40R19 instead. Is that a doable thing? The price for the tyres seems a lot better(and the range is bigger too) for the 245's. What are peoples thoughts?

Find out the width of the rim and put it in here:

403 Forbidden

This does not account for scraping the fenders etc. ie in stock or lowered form, but more so what is physically possible to go on the rim.

Speedo will also read different but you probably already know this.
    RS
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Find out the width of the rim and put it in here:

403 Forbidden

This does not account for scraping the fenders etc. ie in stock or lowered form, but more so what is physically possible to go on the rim.

Speedo will also read different but you probably already know this.
    Ahh good info. Thanks for posting.

Also, if you ask a tyre shop what you can/should/are allowed to get, you will possibly get different answers.

I was after 225 tyres and one Bob Jane said, "we have 235s and they will be fine and cheaper" whereas another said, "I would not suggest putting 235 and stick to 225 OEM tyres".

Bleh
    RS
    R

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuan View Post
    Also, if you ask a tyre shop what you can/should/are allowed to get, you will possibly get different answers.

I was after 225 tyres and one Bob Jane said, "we have 235s and they will be fine and cheaper" whereas another said, "I would not suggest putting 235 and stick to 225 OEM tyres".

Bleh
    I personally will go for the right size as the variation in the tyre circumference may impact the the speedo reading.

Depending on which state , according to RMS in NSW state (http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/documents/...si-09-rev4.pdf)

The wheel and tyre must be contained within the body work or mudguards (including any flares) when the
    wheels are in the straight ahead position.

If the wheels are listed on your car’s tyre placard or in the owners handbook then the tyres you fit must be those

listed on the placard or in the handbook for these wheels.
    Audi A4 B9(8W) AVANT Quattro 2.0 TFSI
    SOLD - Skoda 2012(MY12) 125 Tdi Superb Wagon, KESSY, Power tailgate, Panoramic Sunroof

Users Country Flag
    Check out Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
    It compares existing set up and the new set up with diagrams and "out readings" pretty cool sight

Note there is a common miss conception around the "profile" measurement the /40 in the 235/40R19 is not the height in mm its a percentage. And this is what affects your rolling diameter.

In saying all that your engine an transmission is designed with the specified size. Changing that would not only affect the speedo reading but your gearing ratios efficiencies all sorts of things. Small changes will have minimal impact though.

Users Country Flag
    Everyone wants a bit of extra width though, right

Quote Originally Posted by ZR36 View Post
    Everyone wants a bit of extra width though, right
    That's what I've been told

It was all so I could save a bit of cash on the tires Looking at the prices now though 235's are cheaper than 245's. I would have sworn it was opposite the other day. Oh well.

Users Country Flag
    I wanted to go from 225/40/18 to 225/45/18 on my Octavia, but BobJane said no deal.
    I wanted to increase the tyre wall thickness for a softer quieter ride.

Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    I wanted to go from 225/40/18 to 225/45/18 on my Octavia, but BobJane said no deal.
    I wanted to increase the tyre wall thickness for a softer quieter ride.
    According to the speedo error calculator 100km/h will actually be 104 km/h (despite the built in error cars come from factory with) ... Going from 225/40/18 to 235/40/18 it'll only go from 100 to 101 km/h. 403 Forbidden Don't know why it says 403 forbidden, but the link works Shop probably thinks it's too much difference hence won't sell to you.

Probably a much bigger change in rolling diameter when changing the aspect ratio.
    RS
    R

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast