Thread: Rattle in V6?

Users Country Flag

Rattle in V6?

Has anyone had issues with a rattle in the 3.6 litre V6?

I have been waiting for the yard to release my car and it has a rattle in the motor that "they say" is the timing chain.

This morning I received a call say it would be another day and they think the chain is one tooth out.

Does the motor have a chain or belt?

Has anyone else had this issue or should I be looking in the Passat area

Thanks in advance

Hopeful Skoda owner

Danny
    Current - 2000 Land Rover Discovery Td5
    2011 Holden Commodore Sport wagon (to be moved on before March)

Wishing for a Skoda Octavia RS but we live in Australia so I can't have it so getting (if all goes well) Skoda Superb V6 Combi

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Discodan View Post
    Has anyone had issues with a rattle in the 3.6 litre V6?

I have been waiting for the yard to release my car and it has a rattle in the motor that "they say" is the timing chain.

This morning I received a call say it would be another day and they think the chain is one tooth out.

Does the motor have a chain or belt?

Has anyone else had this issue or should I be looking in the Passat area

Thanks in advance

Hopeful Skoda owner

Danny
    Danny, I know there are issues with the Air Conditioning Compressor. It makes a rattling noise. Plenty of threads about this. I doubt you have cam chain issues unless engine has been stripped and not put back correctly

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks for that, they claim it is the lower chain tensioner. Hopefully I will have the car tomorrow afternoon but I have heard that before. Glad I haven't paid for it yet. But getting nervous.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Wishing for a Skoda Octavia RS but we live in Australia so I can't have it so getting (if all goes well) Skoda Superb V6 Combi

Users Country Flag
    Hey Danny.

Have heard afew of the 3.6L V6 with timing chain noises, all had new chains fitted and fixed the issue (his car was at the dealership for 2 weeks). Once the new chains are fitted they are usually A-OK. Don't stress if it is taking too long for the job, as from personal experience I know that these chains are actually quite difficult to do and are time consuming as the chains are on the gearbox side, so it is a gearbox and transfer case out kinda job, flywheel off, all timing covers off etc. Like I said don't stress, if they are taking their time, 9 times out of 10 this is a good thing, as it means they are doing the job properly. One of my mates 3.6l V6 also had the same issue with the lower timing chain tensioner, it was seized which meant under oil pressure it was not tensioning the chain causing it to rattle etc. The modified chain tensioner that is fitted has a ratchet mechanism on it that stops it from 'seizing'.

Don't stress buddy, im sure when you get your Skoda you will fall more inlove with it by the second, these Vr6's are known to go on forever and they never keep a smile off your face from the moment you start that engine and hear that growl .

All the best mate!

Thanks for that "The One"

I wanted a Octavia RS, until I got into that car and heard that growl, I mean I currently drive a Common door, and it sounds really bad compared to the Superb. I enjoyed my Falcon six at full noise, and have owned many V8's in the past and none have sounded the same.

You don't work on the Gold Coast by chance? They have done the upper chain, then the lower, and now a tensioner.

BUT I GET IT TOMORROW
    YIPPEE

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Discodan View Post
    Thanks for that "The One"

I wanted a Octavia RS, until I got into that car and heard that growl, I mean I currently drive a Common door, and it sounds really bad compared to the Superb. I enjoyed my Falcon six at full noise, and have owned many V8's in the past and none have sounded the same.

You don't work on the Gold Coast by chance? They have done the upper chain, then the lower, and now a tensioner.

BUT I GET IT TOMORROW
    YIPPEE
    Reside on the Coast, constantly travelling for work though matey.

So I assume you got it back today and hopefully all is well?

Yes I received the car yesterday the gold coast Skoda is bigger than I expected. The best bit is they would not release the car until they were happy.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk