Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info system software & map upgrade

Users Country Flag

Info system software & map upgrade

Wow, I thought the day would never come; I've finally received the first update since my 206 sedan which was built on 1st Oct, 2015, an MY2016, delivered in May 2016 by the woeful former Skoda dealership, Trivet in Parramatta.

I've spent almost a year ringing & emailing Skoda customer dis-service in Australia & wrote to Skoda HQ in Czech Republic several months ago as I was getting nowhere here. Until yesterday, my VIN remained unrecognized by Skoda's App. I cannot be sure which of my approaches has triggered it into action but it works now, albeit the Digital Service Record is incomplete missing all service by Trivet & the first by Thompson Skoda, only displaying one warranty service. This confirms to me, advice given by Thompson Skoda service that I needed to chase Skoda Australia to find out why my VIN always returned a No Updates Available or Not Found in Database response. I have to suspect this all goes back to the disorganized chaos at the time of purchase from Trivet.

A post in the Octavia Forum caused me to again try Skoda's online Update facility where for the first time my VIN triggered a New Update Available I'm still on Optus fibre cable here, with broadband download measured at between 30-40Mb/sec, but the download still took 26hrs 55sec! Size being 22.7Gb. The amusing part for me is, this is a zip file which un-zips to 23.55Gb. Why did they even bother!!!! I gather the update server in Prague must be akin to a Commodore 64 on dial-up! Contrast that with a TomTom update done in 5 minutes, Skoda.

SD card, a 256Gb class 10 inserted into the Columbus system was not recognized initially but after a number of retries, recognized the New Update but kept reporting "No Data Found" . After thumping re-try about 7-8 times, update started. It took 50 minutes to successfully complete.

I suppose the point of this long story is.... don't give up. If I can get my Skoda VIN recognized, download the world of maps & get it installed successfully, winning next week's Powerball lotto ought to be a dawdle.

They need some local pacasia servers, I think we hit the euro ones as we aren't a big market area for them. I would suspect VW have much faster ones.

Users Country Flag
    Good win in the end thanks to persistence

The last map update on the Skoda Portal was corrupted when it was released in August - specifically the MRM (rest of the world) maps. The Euro Maps were fine.
    So I downloaded the Maps from the VW Portal, and all good.

I told Skoda Oz back then, and they had no frigging clue. Skoda HQ wanted my VIN, then nothing from them.

I'm assuming Skoda have fixed the Maps on the portal by now.
    I'm not will to waste my internet downloading 22g that I won't use.

Yeah I've been waiting, but so far noone has found it fixed yet.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    They need some local pacasia servers, I think we hit the euro ones as we aren't a big market area for them. I would suspect VW have much faster ones.
    Yes woofy, let's face it, local mirror servers would not be a big investment for VW/Skoda Australia & one very well worth it, given the utterly frustrating situation for both owners & Skoda service dealers. What some people don't understand is, dealers face the same ludicrous problems when servicing a Skoda. I know for a fact my car & my sisters cars have ended up being over-nighted over the last two years, because the dealer service were still awaiting a stable link to Skoda in Czech Rep. Skoda put a lot of money into PR/advertising but utterly neglect customer service. One would think the limited investment needed in mirror servers would be repaid in spades with the retention of customers as continuing Skoda buyers/owners.

It's a chicken and egg scenerio, Skodas could potentially outsell VWs equivalents if we were given the stock, we have been severely restricted since 2003 in all models, even though they break sales records. There was talk about sending partly made cars to somewhere in Asia and then doing the final building there to help with the bottleneck but to be honest, I want my Skoda Czech made, there are less problems with the CZ made cars in the VAG group for a reason.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by woofy View Post
    It's a chicken and egg scenerio, Skodas could potentially outsell VWs equivalents if we were given the stock, we have been severely restricted since 2003 in all models, even though they break sales records. There was talk about sending partly made cars to somewhere in Asia and then doing the final building there to help with the bottleneck but to be honest, I want my Skoda Czech made, there are less problems with the CZ made cars in the VAG group for a reason.
    +1
    I would never buy an Indian or Chinese built Skoda - the quality is far worse than the Czech built ones.
    I've sat in various Rapids, Fabias, Lauras (Octavias) and Superbs in India, over the many many years - and I can see a big difference in how they're put together.
    Thank goodness they don't export!!

Users Country Flag
    Looks like this conversation was tapped - Skoda HQ got back to me saying the MRM Maps have been corrected and available for download!!
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by dArK5HaD0w View Post
    Looks like this conversation was tapped - Skoda HQ got back to me saying the MRM Maps have been corrected and available for download!!
    Of course dArK5HaD0w. You only have to see how nothing about diesel gate lasted on these pages for very long, before either disappearing or getting shuffled to obscurity. This is a tell us what you think site, at arms length. Mostly only owners come here.
    Last edited by 2009fsi; 22-10-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Users Country Flag

I have been able to successfully update the Sat Nav also to P76 ROW 2019.
    The above download is now available on the ŠKODA update portal; Update portal
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast