Thread: Engine cuts out - intermittently

Users Country Flag

Engine cuts out - intermittently

Hi guys, after some advice here, if I may. Over the last few months I've experienced a problem with my MY12 Superb. On a couple of occasions I have started the car and started moving slowly forward only for the engine to cut out when I momentarily take my foot off the accelerator when making a turn. It's only happened at work when exiting the car park after work. First couple of times I thought I had accidentally done something wrong but I'm now convinced I'm not. When it happens, all the electrics still work and I've been able to re-start the car by simply putting the gear back in park. I'm worried it might happen somewhere in the middle of traffic which would be very dangerous.

A bit concerned it might be a portend for something more serious. Car's due for its 30k service early March and I plan to mention it to the dealers. I assume a fault would be logged for them to see?

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? It's happened 4-5 times over the last 4 or so months.

Users Country Flag
    What engine?

Had an MY12 118TSI Passat do a similar thing. It progressively got worse, to the point where it simply refused to restart. In the end, a new ECU fixed it.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Same as yours, 118TSI. That doesn't sound good. Is it a known fault?

Users Country Flag
    Not that I'm aware of.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

Users Country Flag
    Maybe try a temporary replacement coil pack on number 3?
    The Speedhunter can lend or sell you one
    2012.1 Skoda Octavia VRS DSG Wagon - Carbonio cold air intake and pipe - HPA Motorsports BBK 355mm rotors 6 pot calipers
    APR Stage II ECU - APR 3" exhaust down pipe & high flow catalyst
    APR/HP Roll bars - Eibach springs and Bilstien shocks
    Supaloy lower control arms - Enkei 18*8 Wheels

Users Country Flag
    I had something similar happen in my vRS. It did happen in heavy traffic once but luckily on a downhill stretch where I could use the momentum to pull over. Stopped the car, back into P and restart with no problems.

I did report it in the final service before the warranty ran out but frankly I can't recall what they did to fix it - I do know that it stopped.
    MY15 Octavia Scout TDI135 Moon White Tech Pack Panoramic Sunroof Polar wheels

Users Country Flag

Also have a 118TSi. I have experienced the engine cutting out only when cold (ie just started) and after the car has been parked facing downhill - sounds strange but true (I live on a hill). Having it serviced next month and will ask the question. It has never cut out when on the flat, so it may not be related to your experience.
    Skoda Superb MY11 118TSI Wagon, 18" Thermisto Rims, Power Tailgate, Candy White