Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you window tint your superb?

Do you window tint your superb?

HI,

To the owner of Skoda Superb especially the one that comes with privacy glass.

If you are in the Brisbane or Gold Coast area or sunshine states even better since you are get more sun than in Melbourne.

I would like to know whether or not the original windows are enough to block the UV or heat inside the car.

I read that the privacy glass only darken the windows but NO UV protection but again when I google some whirlpool forum said the Windows itself already block the UV.

So what do you think as the owner or driver of Skoda Superb.
    Do you feel hot inside or get sun burn while driving with the original windows?

Do you think it is worth it to get clear tint on the front windows and the rest of the back windows?

Please share your opinion.

Thank you.

Edit: add link
    Window tinting and sun protection - does darkening your windows make you safe from UV rays? - Cancer Council Australia
    Last edited by bego9; 03-11-2016 at 03:33 PM. Reason: wording, add and remove link

Users Country Flag
    Having been driving a Mk3 Octavia with zero window tinting, for the last couple of (hot and UV-full) days; I would recommend at least tinting the front windows.
    I'm not 100% sure if the Privacy Glass blocks UV but the factory windows don't do an amazing amount. Always better to have more!
    2012 Octavia vRS TDI. Darkside big turbo, 3bar tune, other stuff. 200kW/650Nm.
    1990 Mk1 Cabrio. 1.9 IDI w/ 18PSI.
    1985 Mazda T3500 adventuremobile. 1973 Superbug. 1972 Volvo 144 in poo-brown.
    Not including hers...

Users Country Flag
    Standard laminated front screen stops a high percentage of the UV (80%- ish?)
    I'm pretty sure the standard tint on side windows performs similarly but they still let a fair amount of Infra-red radiation in the car.
    Clear tint claims to block 100% of UV. Not sure about infra-red.

The additional dark tint on my car absorbs a lot more of the sunlight and as my car is candy white the paintwork is often very cool compared to the tinted windows to the touch.
    When the car is parked in strong sunlight the interior still heats up but from the windows not the hot seats on which the sun would shine.
    The main benefit, apart from direct occupant protection, comes when the car is moving as the outside air carries away the heat from the warmed windows.

The other benefit of an additionally applied laminate on side and rear windows is that in the event of a crash or attack then you are less likely to be sprayed with toughened glass particles.

I have often thought that one of the options on cheaper vehicles should be laminated side and rear windows.
    I'm assuming that the Superb does not have the higher spec windows fitted?
    Last edited by Gerrycan; 03-11-2016 at 11:33 PM.

Users Country Flag
    My Yeti has the privacy glass, and while it is a pretty low "darkness" tint, I definately don't get sunburnt on the sides of my arms / leg tops in shorts with the windows up, and I do a lot of miles, three or four hours in a day is not unusual. In my partners car, with no tint, I burn within the hour at lunchtime.
    2014 Skoda Yeti TDI Outdoor 4x4 | Audi Q3 CFGC repower | Darkside cams | Darkside dump pDPF | Wagner Comp IC | Water Meth | Bilstein B6 H&R springs | Rays Homura 2x7 18 x 8" 255 Michelin 4s | Golf R subframe | Superpro sway and bushings | 034 engine mounts | MK6 GTI brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Roles View Post
    My Yeti has the privacy glass, and while it is a pretty low "darkness" tint, I definately don't get sunburnt on the sides of my arms / leg tops in shorts with the windows up, and I do a lot of miles, three or four hours in a day is not unusual. In my partners car, with no tint, I burn within the hour at lunchtime.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the privacy tint is only on the rear windows back. On the Superb and the Octavia it is. I got tint film on the fronts and clear on the back ones as the glass stops one type of UV but not the other. I would stop most infrared I would suspect though. The windscreens already are laminated so stop the majority of UV but not infrared.

Users Country Flag
    My previous Superb had 'privacy glass', a weak bottle green tint which seemed to have little or no solar or UV merit. I ended up getting solar tinting at the place everybody used to go to in Campsie & it made an enormous difference. For starters, the air con could cope on a hot day.

My new Superb 206 has privacy glass, but based on the previous experience, I drove 2kms down the road & had best quality legal solar tint applied on the way home. One hour & less than $200 later .... The darker windows look great on a quartz grey metallic, Superb 3 sedan, on the antracite 19" wheels.

I think it essential if you drive a lot, want to take the load off your air con on 40-42C days & minimise the risk of spending as often as I do, getting skin cancers removed.

Absolutely, do it. I had my previous Superb tinted and it made a huge difference to the heat that got in. I will be doing the same with my new one pretty soon.

Info from Skoda customer experience genius.
    I am not sure the front door glass is tinted.
    I know rear door normally has privacy glass.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do you window tint your superb?-superb-glass-info-jpg  
    Last edited by bego9; 09-11-2016 at 08:24 AM. Reason: redo the image update

They all have a tint, in fact all Skodas do the light green tint. But the sunset/privacy glass is obviously darker but its only the rear pillar back. So I got the fronts tinted to match and the rear bits done with clear UV.

Users Country Flag

Know the difference between UV and IR. UV = sunburn and IR = heat. In the Arab states they have double glazed side windows and more roof insulation. The air conditioners are also hyped up a bit. A light coloured car is the only way to keep a car cooler in Australia. Black absorbs ALL the spectrum and White absorbs the least.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast