Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The death of a good friend

Users Country Flag

The death of a good friend

On the night of Australia Day my Superb V6 wagon was struck by lightning. All computers were down and the battery discharged itself. All attempts at resuscitation have failed so it has been written off. only 40,000km and still immaculate, it is so unfair. I was on Phillip Island at the time and I live in Wollongong. Up until then not one problem with it.

Users Country Flag
    Ouch! That sucks and so far from home. Sorry for your loss.
    Indium Grey Golf 7.5 Alltrack 135tdi Premium - all options

Users Country Flag
    Fark Me!!!
    And u had the V6 version!
    Bugger.
    Sorry to hear that.

Users Country Flag
    Far out... what are the odds of that!

So insurance taking care of it? Or....?
    My car: MY18 Arteon
    My car #2: MY22 Volvo XC40 Pure Electric
    Her car: MY22 Skoda Octavia Limited Edition Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by DreamensioN View Post
    Far out... what are the odds of that!

So insurance taking care of it? Or....?
    Well I walked out that earlier this week near my house in the rain, and about 2min after I walked past a small tree a huge lightning bolt hit it when I was further down the street. There had been no lightning or thunder at all until then and I had an umbrella, albeit one without any metal in it....but still. Never know what might happen.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Shannons will pay $30K plus towing plus airfare home. They will then offer the wreck (?) to me. What is it worth? Do I want to deal with that. It was a lovely car but now//...? I have put a deposit on a Golf R Wolfsburg Wagon which is being fitted with a tow bar which is not normal. It will have factory warranty on it even though it is not compliant. ?!?! So many cars today do not have towing compliance it is difficult to choose.What the does not have is push button tail gate and the neat Skoda additions. What it does have is AWD, 213Kw, digital dash and leather, heated seats (like my Superb) but only driver's electric adjustment of seat. See next post for my dealing with Southern Classic Cars in Wollongong.

Yes. It was a weapon and a dear friend.

Southern Classic Cars of Wollongong. Where to begin??! In 1999 I traded a 1985 BMW 323i on an Audi Aw 1.8 Turbo quattro. Good deal and happy. Then I found the service dept. was charging for work not done. Not happy. I found an independent mechanic who was Audi/Skoda/VW trained and happy again. I then looked for a car in 2011 that could fill my needs and the Skoda Super 191FSI Wagon. I bought it from the dealer in Canberra and that says heaps about Wollongong (where I live). I went back to Southern Classic last Friday where I was told Alcantara is the belly leather of a cow turned inside out to make suede! WTF!!! I was also told the Octavia RS 245 does not have an umbrella. So when I know more than the sales person it is an instant no-go area. On the other hand, the sales person at Latrobe Valley VW has done cartwheels and back flips to keep me happy. No bull****, a real deal. He is supplying a permit to move to get me from Vic. to NSW AND picking me up from the airport. Tow bar is costing $500 instead of $1,600, plus a customer package. I am also going to ask for a full tank of petrol to get me home and I am sure that will happen. Can you see the difference here?

Users Country Flag
    He must be really keen to sell check for ripples in the paint LOL
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

I bought a Superb from Southern Classic about six years ago and had no problems with servicing but their sales dept is another story altogether. I wanted to buy a Tiguan and spoke to one of the sales team about it in person. When I wanted to put money on the table for a deposit I rang them for a firm price and they wanted me to come in just to get a price. I was shopping dealers on the phone and no way was I going to waste two hours or more to listen to their psychological sales BS as all I wanted was a number. The sales guy was all for it but his manager wouldn't hear about it so they lost out. I rang VW Mittagong and they gave me a quote over the phone with no problems or questions so they got the deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast