Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery / Electrical Problems

Users Country Flag

I hope the stop/start on the Superb is more sophisticated than what I recently experienced on a loan Fabia which was just my third experience of a stop/start equipped vehicle.
    Don't get me wrong, the stop and restart worked very efficiently, particularly as it was a manual, but stopping the engine when I had the aircon and fan on high on a 40+ deg day was just ridiculous. First issue was that the fan on high was quite a big drain on the battery and second the aircon cooling matrix soon lost thermal inertia so air in the cabin soon warmed up.
    Similar situation at night with headlights on, a big drain on the battery for the duration of the stoppage.
    The above and the annoyingly high number of stop/start operations in heavy traffic forced my mechanical sympathy, or in this case 'electrical sympathy' to frequently turn off the function and it was not even my car.
    The other thing I am suspicious of is the 'regenerative braking' function, does that mean that recharging the battery after a longish stop does not happen automatically but is deferred to leave room for later braking operation? I attempt to be an economical driver so actually avoid unnecessary use of brakes, so does this mean the battery may be at a lower state than really desirable for longevity?

Regular running down a lead acid battery (even AGM) is always going to shorten its life. Lots of stories across all makes of early failures of expensive batteries with the blame being placed on stop/start operation.

My 2014 1.4tsi manual Octavia does not have stop/start, however sometimes I choose to switch off the ignition when I know that the car will be stationary for a while (and ambient conditions are not too onerous), which means the heavy electrical load items are also turned off. The battery is approaching 5 years old now and still turns the engine over like when new. I also suspect the battery may not be as high spec as fitted in the later stop/start equipped vehicles.
    Last edited by Gerrycan; 03-04-2019 at 11:41 PM.

Users Country Flag
    As I am coming up to my 3yr / 45,000kms service I was considering getting a new battery purely just to ensure a few more years of trouble free motoring (let it be known that I do not have any battery issues).

Diesels usually have AGM's here in Australia.
    All others are EFB's.

Genuine Replacement Batteries:
    OEM: Varta – 000 915 105 FC (EFB+ Start-Stop) 70Ah 420A 700A
    OEM: Varta – 000 915 105 CC (AGM Start-Stop) 70Ah 420A 700A
    (dimensions mm: 278W x 175L x 190H)

However after reading this thread once again and referring to the ŠKODA Australia Warranty; ŠKODA 5 Year Warranty | Owners | ŠKODA Australia

The battery is actually covered for 5yrs...

Battery / Electrical Problems-08032020-battery-warranty-png
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Hi, it is time to change battery soon for my MY17 Skoda Superb as well. 75k km already.
    Currently the battery is Banner EFB 6Ro 915 105 B 680A

I couldn't find Varta above from user Ope126

Skoda dealer told me $460 to replace the battery but I am still waiting what brand and model that they are going to replace.

I found the following:

Option 1 AGM:
    Varta Silver Dynamic AGM 570 901 076 (E39 - 760A)

570 901 076 | Varta Automotive

Option 2 EFB:
    Varta Blue Dynamic EFB 575 500 073 (E46 - 730A)

575 500 073 | Varta Automotive

note: Varta says EFB technology "Ideal for start-stop vehicle technologies without regenerative braking technology "

Since Skoda Superb MY17 comes with regenerative braking technology, is that mean I need to use the AGM version?
    Is this AGM version safe to use since it is not the same as the original battery EFB version?

Which one that you use to replace the battery for Skoda Superb My17 onwards?

Please let me know and thank you for your feedback.
    Last edited by bego9; 03-05-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Hi Bego, which one did you get ? Seems like my battery is about to die as it failed once, shows only 12.2V, but I will first try recharging it. cheers

Users Country Flag
    @ope126 Did you get it replaced by Skoda, if so which service? I have a 2017 206Superb, and the battery died on me last night, jump started and drove around it it was ok, though it's now showing only 12.2V. I've noticed Start/Stop is not engaging anymore so I guess it's low on voltage and soon to die.
    Do I have to bring it to Skoda service only or any VW service will change it under the warrant? Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vajnorcan View Post
    @ope126 Did you get it replaced by Skoda, if so which service? I have a 2017 206Superb, and the battery died on me last night, jump started and drove around it it was ok, though it's now showing only 12.2V. I've noticed Start/Stop is not engaging anymore so I guess it's low on voltage and soon to die.
    Do I have to bring it to Skoda service only or any VW service will change it under the warrant? Cheers
    Mine has not failed, I just did the research for the off chance I was required to get it replaced.
    I am booked tomorrow for my 3yr / 45,000km service at Mt Gravatt ŠKODA, so will see what they say abut the condition of the battery.

If you have called ŠKODA Assist, they will replace with what ever they have in the van I would assume.

Here are the current Genuine Batteries available from VW / ŠKODA Parts;

Let us know how you go!!!
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Mine has not failed, I just did the research for the off chance I was required to get it replaced.
    I am booked tomorrow for my 3yr / 45,000km service at Mt Gravatt ŠKODA, so will see what they say abut the condition of the battery.

If you have called ŠKODA Assist, they will replace with what ever they have in the van I would assume.

Here are the current Genuine Batteries available from VW / ŠKODA Parts;

Let us know how you go!!!
    I've called VW Kippa Ring as that the closest VW Group to where I live and it was a short phone call as they said it has to go via Skoda Dealer Service, not VW, which didn't surprise me at all. I will call Skoda Brisbane City and see what they say. Current reading 12.2V is not great and I guess I will be jump starting soon

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by vajnorcan View Post
    I've called VW Kippa Ring as that the closest VW Group to where I live and it was a short phone call as they said it has to go via Skoda Dealer Service, not VW, which didn't surprise me at all.
    You will never get any assistance from a VW or Audi dealer. They are all totally different BUs in the VAG group.

If you are still under factory warranty then leave the lights on so the battery is dead and ring Skoda Assist and they will replace the battery at your house.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    You will never get any assistance from a VW or Audi dealer. They are all totally different BUs in the VAG group.

If you are still under factory warranty then leave the lights on so the battery is dead and ring Skoda Assist and they will replace the battery at your house.
    Interesting idea...

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    Interesting idea...
    I know of a few people with marginal batteries that were near the end of warranty...
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast