Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery / Electrical Problems

Users Country Flag

dark5had0w, yours was manufactured by Banner Batteries; Banner Batteries - The Power Company
    Assuming yours is still the original fitment battery.

Vexed new battery is most probably a battery that supersedes the previous part numbers, i.e. the last version.

My only thoughts are that I am surprised that it is still such a small battery on these cars...
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
    dark5had0w, yours was manufactured by Banner Batteries; Banner Batteries - The Power Company
    Assuming yours is still the original fitment battery.

Vexed new battery is most probably a battery that supersedes the previous part numbers, i.e. the last version.

My only thoughts are that I am surprised that it is still such a small battery on these cars...

wat i'm surprised is that we both have an MY17 model, same battery part number, however manufactured at opposite ends of the world!!
    mine is Banner - 6R0 915 105 B - Austria
    his was Sebang - 6R0 915 105 B - Korea.

with regards to the newer battery, and different part number - yes, most likely one that superceeds the old 6R0 battery.

with regards to the size - my understanding is that the Passat B8 also has the same spec battery.
    MY17 Superb 162TSI, Business Grey, Tech+Comfort Pack, APR ECU+TCU Stg 1, SLA, Rieger Splitter + Side Skirts, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Hardrace Swaybar, TPMS

Users Country Flag
    Now I have a 206TSI also, I thought i would add to this thread with my battery details; Banner - 6R0 915 105 B (Made in Austria)
    MY18 VW Passat Alltrack Wolfsburg Edition + Panoramic Sunroof + some extra goodies... (Pure White)
    MY17 ŠKODA Superb 206TSI 4x4 + Sunroof + Tech Pack + Comfort Pack + some extra goodies... (Moon White)

Just to add. I have had the battery in a MY18 petrol Tiguan die as well.

The battery was the original battery which was a SeBang 6R0915105B.

My situation was much the same as what is described here. The car would not start. The car would start with a jump start from another vehicle. When the car did start a message appeared saying "Charge battery by driving". Drove the car for ~1hr and left it idling for another 30 mins. Checked the battery with a multimeter while the engine was running and the battery was showing 14v, so I assume nothing wrong with the alternator. Then turned the car off, waiting 20 mins and checked again with a multimeter and the voltage was showing as 12v.

Then connected the battery to a 7 stage 10 amp charger and the battery charger threw an error. This was all on Saturday afternoon. On Sunday removed the battery from the car and took the battery down to Supercheap auto, they tried to test the battery, but their machine said to charge the battery as it was showing 11.2v. They tried charging it as well and their charger also threw an error after 10mins, initially going through the first 5 stages of charging ok.

There has never been an ODB dongle connected, or USB device or something plugged into the cigarette socket that could have acted as a parasitic battery drain, so I can't explain why this has happened.

So looks like the el cheapo Korean battery is a POS. Very disappointed as the car is less than a year and a half old with maybe ~10,000km. Will have to call the dealership on Monday morning and see if this is something covered under warranty.

For comparison in the original OEM Varta battery in my 2007 VW T5 lasted 8 years, replaced it with another Varta and has been going strong for the last few years.
    Last edited by formatview321; 17-03-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Users Country Flag
    It’s not that unusual that the battery dies well before 3-4years expected lifespan. I saw even the best brand fail within 12montgs. The factory fitted red top optima in our 2005 JEEP KJ Cherokee died just 1year old, not a big problem just get the dealer to replace it or call VW Assist.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by formatview321 View Post
    J

So looks like the el cheapo Korean battery is a POS. Very disappointed as the car is less than a year and a half old with maybe ~10,000km. Will have to call the dealership on Monday morning and see if this is something covered under warranty.
    It's warranty. Just call VW Assist and they will come to your house and replace it.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    The battery in my MY16 206 died just before Xmas. 2.5 years old. I've never had a battery die so quickly, especially when the car has regular long runs at speed.
    When I called Skoda Assist, their proxy, Global Assist turned up in less than 30 mins. He had to return to his base in Lidcombe to get a new battery as the factory replacement he had on board he found to be a dud when tested. When he returned, he told me the three Skoda/VW factory batteries at base proved to be 'no good' either. He installed a direct replacement from a name company which he told me was a better battery anyway. It was changed under warranty. I drew the circumstances of change to Thomson Skoda's attention at service. They told me the replacement was fine & in excellent condition.
    I get the distinct feeling Skoda knows the factory batteries are inferior quality & prone to die young.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009fsi View Post
    I get the distinct feeling Skoda knows the factory batteries are inferior quality & prone to die young.
    Surprising, as the Varta batteries that are usually fitted are a quality item.

My factory Varta battery lasted 6+ years. (Nov 2007-Jan 2014).

Current Varta stiil going strong at 5+yrs.

OTOH, My daughter's Honda Accord gets a new battery every 2.5 years as it is too small for the vehicle and associated electrics.
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    Interesting for me too Brad. The original fitted battery which failed was not a Varta. It was a brand I've never seen. I can't rememer what it was. Global Assist mechanic went back to his depot to get the same battery; he said they had three there. On return he told me none of those three were up to spec.
    The key point I want to make is, Skoda Assit were terrific, Global Assist equally so in quickly & professionally responding. Their mechanic could have just bunged in another 'factory' battery. Instead he did proper checks & put a first rate replacement in under warranty. I'm used to original factory batteries lasting 7-8 years so very surprised at failure in 2.5 years.
    One needs to realize today's cars are overloaded with so much electronics which draw typically 300-350mA when sitting in the garage & demand more for day driving lights, aircons fans & various system & traffic sensors while driving. Çars need more running at speed over longer periods to fully recharge batteries. Sitting in traffic at idle doesn't cut it .

Users Country Flag

I think stop/start is the worst but agree to all of the above.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast