Thread: Wrecker or private sale

Question Wrecker or private sale

It's time to say goodbye to our beloved Mk5 Golf Comforline. My wife and I bought it new in 2005 as our first car together and it's been a great unit. Wife want's to get a new car though, so being the oldest, it needs to go.

Red book says Private Price Guide is $1,800 - $4,100 for the South African made version; ours was one of the lucky ones made in Germany: redbook.com.au
    Mechanically it's in good nick (mostly dealer serviced with 15 years of paperwork in the logbook) but there are marks on the bumpers, some damage the front bumper and the roof lining is falling down (my youngest thought tugging on liner would be a "fun" thing to do a few years back...) so putting on Gumtree would probably see me waste a lot of time.

Question is, what would be the best way to sell it to get max value?
    Should I simply take it to a wrecker?
    Should I try for a minimum trade when we buy new car?
    Other ideas?

Suggestions most appreciated.
    Last edited by TonyTA; 28-10-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo

Users Country Flag
    Sell it to a P plater.

Wreckers will offer you a case of beer.

Dealerships probably the same or less

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sagging roof liners are common issue with these. Best bet is to sell privately as that’s where you’re going to get most $.

Red book prices are not 100% reliable as they don’t take into things like condition and service history, km etc.

I’d put it up here and gumtree. I think for cars under $5,000 are free listing on carsales.

It’s not worth anything to a dealer on trade in and wreckers will give you $500-1,000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag
    Gumtree it, you should get around $3500 for it there, which is a lot better than what a dealer ($2000) or a wrecker ($1000 or less) will give you.

Fixing the roof liner will probably cost you $200. Don't bother too much with the other cosmetics unless it is a safety issue.

RWC may (or may not) cost a few $ to get it compliant, but the biggest issue would just be the time and effort involved to sell it. In my view the extra $ you'll get is well worth the effort.
    Current: 2023 MY23 T-Roc R Lapiz Blue + Beats Audio + Black pack 2018 MY19 Golf R manual Lapiz Blue + DAP (mods are underway ) 2018 MY18 Golf 110TSI Trendline manual White (with mods now 150TSI) 2014 Amarok TSI Red (tuned over 200kw + lots of extras) 2013 Up! manual Red 10 Previous VWs and some others ...

Users Country Flag
    Gumtree is for free. Car sales will give you more hits but AFAIK isnt free. Sell it with rego but you need RWC prior to sale.
    Head lining is around $250 (if with sunroof then more) but you have to remove it or it will cost you more again.

Depending on your handyman skills carsales is your best option but try Gumtree 1st after you clean up your car.
    If you cant be bothered with repairs, RWC and people kicking the tyres, trade it in when getting your new car just drive a hard bargain. Its the least stressful way.

Users Country Flag
    Sell it privately. The lower the price with the longer the rego the quicker the sale. Every car deserves to be driven until it’s wheels fall off and often the buyer from new sees little value in an old car but to another that old car feels like a new car. Speaking from experience.
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

Quote Originally Posted by tek199 View Post
    Gumtree is for free. Car sales will give you more hits but AFAIK isnt free. Sell it with rego but you need RWC prior to sale.
    Carsales is free for under $5,000 and a "lite" ad. Of course they'll try and convince you to pay more but don't waste your $. List it on carsales, gumtree and Facebook marketplace.

Of course you're going to get low-ballers. If you fix it you'll get more for it but if you just want it gone then trade it in. You should get a bit more than if you just sold it to a wreckers.

2017 Tiguan Sportline - Tigger73's 162TSI Sportline

2016 Scirocco R, stage 1, 205kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's Scirocco R Build
    2013 Tiguan 155TSI, stage 1, 144kwaw (sold) - Tigger73's 155TSI Build
    2011 Tiguan 125TSI, Stage 2+, 152kwaw (sold)
    - Tigger73's 125TSI Build

Users Country Flag

Facebook is a fast way to get people looking at the vehicle online, but many people simply offer half of what you’re asking then are never heard of again. Gumtree buyers are a bit more serious - well written (short) copy and a few good pics goes a long way... the rare German build angle is a good one...
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic