Support VWWC

Page 217 of 222 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,170 of 2211

Thread: What did you do to your Mk5 today?

Users Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Nice result on the headlights, I tried something similar years ago and made a mess, ended up paying someone to come do it properly with a clear coat spray too.

Got any before and after pics ?
    Here are the pics, although they do not do the result justice - I suspect the before and after would have looked more impressive if I'd thought to take the pics head on at bumper level in daylight. Little more than 2 minutes work per light. Not looking new, but they make the car looked like a quality used car instead of something one P-Plater away from the wreckers.

LH light BEFORE (photo looks blurry but that is in fact the yellow haze):

Attachment 53370

RH light AFTER one application:

I'm a stickler for OEM so I'm much happier after relegating the after market Xenons to the shelf.

I guess modern cars are built with a planned 10 year life so this sort of thing is an annoyance only for lovers of the marque, the poor and the stingy... the Mk6 and 7 does not seem to suffer the same problem from what I've seen, and VW was rumoured to have used a rare futuristic headlight material called g-l-a-s-s for the Mk3 and earlier... never heard of... they say it was resilient and remained crystal clear, even after car itself had rusted away... believe that if you will... next they'll be saying that we used to make that sort of thing right here in Australia...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Mk5 today?-lhbf-jpg  
    Last edited by davidorama; 17-10-2021 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Fixed image links
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

Users Country Flag
    Those pics don't load.
    Glass headlights are not permitted anymore, yes my MK4 glass never had dulling issues either.
    Safety to first responders with broken glass or some such.

Mk6 & 7 are probably about to suffer the same issue as they age.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    From somewhere around the year 2000, all cars have plastic headlights and are prone to fading/discolouration when exposed to UV light. You can quite easily tell which cars are garaged/kept undercover by looking at their headlights, as the degradation starts to appear after about 4-5 years in general.

If the headlights are in good condition, you can protect them against UV by simply putting some wax or sealant on them a few times a year, this is what I do.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    Doh! I never considered that but of course it makes complete sense to eliminate unnecessary glass on the car. But now that I come to think of it I’ve only ever had glass lights on one car - my first - so my joke fell flat. Sorry. Odd that the photos don’t load because I simply inserted them using the in forum editor… I’ll sort out image hosting then edit the post.

Quote Originally Posted by JustCruisn View Post
    Those pics don't load.
    Glass headlights are not permitted anymore, yes my MK4 glass never had dulling issues either.
    Safety to first responders with broken glass or some such.

Mk6 & 7 are probably about to suffer the same issue as they age.

Users Country Flag
    I re-shelled my VW remote key today. Cost $20. What do you think? The one on the right is an empty shell for my second re-shelling. The remains at the top of the picture, yeah, well... you know.

What did you do to your Mk5 today?-key-jpg
    Last edited by davidorama; 22-10-2021 at 08:30 AM.

Users Country Flag
    So I finally managed to reassemble the centre ashtray, cupholder and armrest catastrophe after fitting the new centre cupholder sliding cover. IKEA is nothing after jumping around the car finding the 1001 T20 screws...

What did you do to your Mk5 today?-img_2483-jpg all this What did you do to your Mk5 today?-img_2524-jpg for this

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by davidorama View Post
    So I finally managed to reassemble the centre ashtray, cupholder and armrest catastrophe after fitting the new centre cupholder sliding cover. IKEA is nothing after jumping around the car finding the 1001 T20 screws...

What did you do to your Mk5 today?-img_2483-jpg all this What did you do to your Mk5 today?-img_2524-jpg for this
    I don't even let my passengers touch the cupholder in case they break it! I don't want to be doing that job to replace it.

Sent from my Samsung Smart Fridge
    .:Mk5 R32

Users Country Flag
    Low beam headlight blew. So I replaced both left and right. No idea how old they were. Cheapies from Repco. 30% brighter they say.
    What did you do to your Mk5 today?-repcoglobes-jpg
    Last edited by davidorama; 08-11-2021 at 02:46 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Picked up my new run around on the weekend - MY08 GT Sport! Already loving it.

Question - looking at the RCD330+ (with canbus upgrade) and most likely going to get the VW flip badge RVC - does anyone know someone in Sydney, NSW that can do the install?

Users Country Flag

So today after what seems like forever I received a new plastic lead for the Golf fuel cap. See separate thread for my DIY Fuel Cap Tether.

What did you do to your Mk5 today?-fuelcaplead-jpg
    Last edited by davidorama; 27-11-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Page 217 of 222 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219 ... LastLast