Page 2 of 222 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Mk5 today?

i took him into get the sunglass holder replaced (as it started to open by itself), and the lumbar support stopped working. have to take it in again after they order the parts from sydney.
    mk2 GTI 16v

Quote Originally Posted by Steve. View Post
    Today? I walked past it to get to the R36

I patted it, though, so hopefully it doesn't feel too neglected!
    hahaha...oh how sad that you have to neglect him for the R36. (p.s. i hate you). haha. but seriously, which one do you prefer to drive? as soon as i start popping out kids, i'm going to the dealer to get a R36 wagon.
    mk2 GTI 16v

Users Country Flag
    Seriuosly contemplating washing my GTI soon as I am going up north to Launceston tomorrow for a loooong weekend.
    Mightn't happen though!!!!!
    Andrew
    Par 6 Golf GTI. Coilovers, BBS CH Wheels, APR'd
    Caddy van 05/07 (colourcoded) (BRIGHT! orange!) coilovers, Konis 18in. wheels, Oettinger tuned

Quote Originally Posted by gtimk5 View Post
    Seriuosly contemplating washing my GTI soon as I am going up north to Launceston tomorrow for a loooong weekend.
    Mightn't happen though!!!!!
    Andrew
    Man, that's a long trip for you

Don't know how old you are, but I fondly remember that trip as long as 40 years ago, when it was fun, fun, fun. Hardly any straight bits back then. Best time in 1970 was Hobart centre to Launceston centre in 1hr 52m, raining all the way, in my modded EK.

Users Country Flag
    Hey Gerhard, its all straightish now and it takes 2 hours due to police presence. I am old enough to remember the windy road mate!!! There were few overtaking spots back then and yep, we used to race up there pretty quickly.
    Antisocial to go crazy these days eh.
    Andrew
    Par 6 Golf GTI. Coilovers, BBS CH Wheels, APR'd
    Caddy van 05/07 (colourcoded) (BRIGHT! orange!) coilovers, Konis 18in. wheels, Oettinger tuned

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    licence gone till september

arent you a good son
    Crap

&

Yep
    - Ben

1961 Karmann Ghia Coupé - 1993 Golf Cabriolet - 2006 Golf Comfortline 1.9L TDI
    2008 Jetta 2.0L FSI

Quote Originally Posted by gtimk5 View Post
    Hey Gerhard, its all straightish now and it takes 2 hours due to police presence. I am old enough to remember the windy road mate!!! There were few overtaking spots back then and yep, we used to race up there pretty quickly.
    Antisocial to go crazy these days eh.
    Andrew
    Campbell Town was the place you had to watch out back then

While you're in Launceston you could take a blat over the Sidling one night - that used to be a firm favourite and hasn't changed much in 40 years
    Back to Launceston via St Marys makes a nice round trip too.......

Will be in Tassie in November for Mum's birthday and will definately take the GTI - looking forward to the Devonport to George Town run from the ferry, and will definately throw in a Sidling blast.

Sorry folks, didn't mean to hijack - but I did do something with my GTI today - rang the bloody dealer and said "where is it?" Ordered 2 weeks ago, supposedly located in Sydney, and now I'm told it's coming from Perth

So I had virtual contact with it

I took it up to 5000RPM in second gear today......
    GOLF V 2.0 TDI COMFORTLINE
    SAY NO TO INTERNET FILTER http://www.getup.org.au/ http://nocleanfeed.com/

Quote Originally Posted by limmy View Post
    hahaha...oh how sad that you have to neglect him for the R36. (p.s. i hate you). haha. but seriously, which one do you prefer to drive? as soon as i start popping out kids, i'm going to the dealer to get a R36 wagon.
    The GTI and R36 are both very different cars to drive. Obviously the R36 is a larger car, but it doesn't feel much larger. Heavier and more solidly put together... but not bigger. The interior is nicer, the steering wheel feels better, and everything feels just a little more expensive. I guess it should, too, since it's nearly twice the price.

There's nothing subtle about the GTI's ride. It crashes about over bumps and pot holes, while the R36 feels composed and not as bumpy. Could be something as simple as tyres and pressures, or it might be something more fundamental.

The biggest thing I notice while driving the GTI after spending a bunch of time in the R36 is I'm constantly accelerating too hard and either torque steering all over the place or making traction control work overtime. It takes a little while to adjust to.

The R36 is much faster in a straight line but I'm not sure how they compare through the corners.

I'd say I prefer to drive the R36. It sounds better, feels nicer, and has my golf clubs in the back all the time...
    R36 =

Users Country Flag

Detailed interior.
    2015 Multivan Highline
    1969 Sunbeam Imp Sport 930cc

Page 2 of 222 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast