Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What alternative to RNS510 now that maps may be discontinued

What alternative to RNS510 now that maps may be discontinued

Hello all, l have a Golf Mark5 with a RNS 510 with version 8 maps. l went to my VW dealer and he told me that the new map update Version 9 which is already out of date is $550 dollars, and that the reason why they are so expensive is that VW will not be supplying new map updates for the RNS 510 in the near future. So what good alternative systems have people installed with good maps. and that will continue to have map updates plus work with the canbus system and steering wheel controls .
    This appears to me that just because are car is getting older that VW want you to upgrade your vehicle. l cant afford to do this and my golf is in good condition so l hope there is a good alternative. ( Please note l do not want to use a mobile phone as my sat nav )

Thank you all in advance!!!!

Rob

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by rcocu View Post
    Hello all, l have a Golf Mark5 with a RNS 510 with version 8 maps. l went to my VW dealer and he told me that the new map update Version 9 which is already out of date is $550 dollars, and that the reason why they are so expensive is that VW will not be supplying new map updates for the RNS 510 in the near future. So what good alternative systems have people installed with good maps. and that will continue to have map updates plus work with the canbus system and steering wheel controls .
    This appears to me that just because are car is getting older that VW want you to upgrade your vehicle. l cant afford to do this and my golf is in good condition so l hope there is a good alternative. ( Please note l do not want to use a mobile phone as my sat nav )

Thank you all in advance!!!!

Rob
    Discover Media, Pioneer or Alpine are your best choices given those requirements I'd say.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
    2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Apparently it is possible to convert bmw maps to use with rns-510. There's some information here; Using BMW maps in the RNS510 - In Car Entertainment - R32OC | VW Golf R32, Golf R and other .:R Vehicle Owners Club. I'm not sure how recent the bmw maps are, they all seem to be based off navteq maps, and not sure if they're available online.
    132TSI Tiguan Allspace

That's why my next car will have Andriod Auto and Apple Carplay.

You will always get the latest maps using Google or the likes.

The map on my GTI is over 10 years old.. couldn't be bothered updating it.
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnbu View Post
    That's why my next car will have Andriod Auto and Apple Carplay.

You will always get the latest maps using Google or the likes.

The map on my GTI is over 10 years old.. couldn't be bothered updating it.
    Your current car can have android auto and apple carplay.

2011 Skoda Octavia vRS TDI DSG wagon|Revo Stage 1|Race Blue|Leather|Dynamic Xenons w 6000K|9w7 BT|THA475 Amp+active sub|Whiteline ALK|RVC|
    2009 R36 wagon|Biscay Blue|RVC|Tailgate|ECU and DSG tune|LED DRL/Indicators|3D colour cluster|Quad LED tail rings|Climatronics upgrade|Dynaudio retrofit|B7 RLine Flat Steering Wheel|3AA CCM|TPMS Direct|B7 Adaptive Cruise with Front Assist|Discover Media retrofit|PLA 2.0|Lane Assist|BCM retrofit|High Beam Assist|DQ500

Quote Originally Posted by kamold View Post
    Your current car can have android auto and apple carplay.

That involves me spending money to improve it which I can't justify.

I definately maintain it well but won't spend money on it as it's due to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    There's an alternative for people willing to dish out $250-500 on an aftermarket infotainment system. You can find android based aftermarket infotainment system which can incorporate all the requirements you mentioned plus many more.

I've installed one in my sisters car before and its pretty much an android tablet which gives you access to Google Search, Maps, Phone/Bluetooth, Wifi, Full range of android playstore apps and it also incorporates canbus, rear/front cameras, custom steering wheel option and many more.

I'll be installing - LJDA 8 Inch ANDROID 6.0 Car Radio DVD GPS Navigation For Volkswagen VW Passat B5 B6 Polo Golf 4 5 Touran Jetta T5 Tiguan 4G RAM-in Car Multimedia Player from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Some issues are the quality of sound output compared to other traditional double din systems but I'm trying to find out if there's a workaround with a budget quality amplifier.

I've seen the Andriod unit.. great value for money.

Hows the operating system overall? I found that the no name android systems are sometimes a bit buggy due to the low R&D.
    MY07 Red GTI 3 Door

Users Country Flag
    Julzbrah have you fitted the LJDA 8inch yet? I just brought an 08 147tsi Jetta as a daily runabout and it has the rcd500, its already annoying that I don't have bluetooth for phone and music. Was the install pretty straight forward? Do I need a bluetooth module as well? Also is the bluetooth module fitted under the drivers seat?
    cheers
    Mossy

Our sony android smart tv is annoyingly buggy. No keen to try any android device. No confident in the quality of any google software. A full os at least can be tweaked. Any car pcs work well as rns510 substitute????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast