Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW GTi Mk5 Superchips Stage 1

Users Country Flag

VW GTi Mk5 Superchips Stage 1

i have just recently bought a mk5 gti, below is a copy of the for sale add comments before I bought the car...

2008 Golf GTI mk5 182976KM

For sale is my mk5 GTI, I have owned this car a for a little over 12 months. In that time is has mostly seen highway driving as I head out west every 2 weeks. The vehicle has been very well maintained always serviced on time (every 10k).

Parts Replaced:
    Air Filter
    Fuel Filter
    Front Pads and Rotors (upgraded to t2 rotors and street performance pads)
    Rear Pads
    New Battery
    Spark Plugs
    DSG Oil and Filter
    Oil PCV Valve
    Front Tyres (Bridgestone re003)
    Post Cat O2 sensor
    Transmission Mount Dog Bone Insert

It also has a 3” dump pipe which connects up to the standard exhaust (still sounds standard, until you give it sum). I’ve also installed a throttle controller and a stage 1 Bluefin tune (controller will go with the car). I also still have the original dump pipe. Also has Darkest legal tint all round. I’ve recently received a company car and rarely now gets driven, so I’d rather sell it on to someone who will actually drive it.

Maintenance and Upgrades to Date

January 2020:
    - Mann Cabin Filter
    - Ramair Panel Air Filter
    - Mann Oil Filter (not done)
    - Castrol Edge 5W-30 Oil (not done)
    - ECS Magnet Oil Drain Plug (not done)
    - INA Fuel Cam Follower 71102410 (not done)
    - OEM HPFP Seal WHT005184 (not done)
    - Mann Fuel Filter (not done)
    - Ac Servo Flap Motor 1K0907511B (not done)
    - Canbus Gateway Module 7N0 907 50AG
    - Topran PCV Gasket
    - 422 O2 Sensor Spacer
    - New Wipers All Round
    - New Batteries in Key Remotes
    Last edited by guile; 13-01-2020 at 09:25 PM. Reason: photos added

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I gave the remotes a minor refresh with new batteries and some new vw logos...

decided to get rid of the longer aerial and fitted the little stubby one which doesn't stand out as much...

replaced the cabin filter as the inside smelt of dog, old socks and boll locks. old mate cockroach dropped out with the old filter, if you look close it looks like he's wearing shades...

old vs new, probably looks worse than it is as I think the old one was a charcoal filter. happy to report after a good vacuum and spraying a can of deodoriser down the aircon vents the smell has now gone...

replaced the air filter for a bit more noise and an extra 1000 bhp. the previous owner said he'd just replaced the air filter which I'd believe from looking at it so I hope that means he's legit about all the other service items he did...

hard to tell but the plastic air intake was missing one of its screw fixing tabs; the one on the back right...

not that exciting but there's something nice about using new wiper blades...

Last edited by guile; 12-01-2020 at 08:37 PM.

I popped the engine cover to get a good shufty at what was underneath. it looks like oil residue around the pcv that has supposedly just been changed...

I did notice that one of the screws heads is not sitting flush with the pcv mounting face so not sure if its not seating right and don't know if the gasket has been replaced at the same time or not...

I plan to remove it again, insert the new gasket and seat the screws properly. I will clean up the area and monitor it to see if its still vaping like a boss...

I also noticed that one of the coil pack electrical connectors had the clip broken off. I've ordered a new connector and will push the pins out of the old one to replace it and prevent any new wiring needed...

the only code I get that I can't clear is one for the HVAC. apparently its this motor that is kaput so I've ordered a new one and hope that fixes it. its a common problem i hear so it should be all gravy once its swapped out...

another code a get from time to time is the O2 sensor efficieny threshold which i think is related to only having a stage 1 tune but also having a dump pipe. I've installed a spacer for now to see if I can prevent the dreaded cel from returning...

I went with a new steering wheel emblem to try and tidy up the interior a bit, the old one is scratched and worn...

Last edited by guile; 13-01-2020 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added text to photos

I bought an rdc330+ and although it might sound a bit silly to spend $350 on a headhunt for a cheap car I reckon its the best $350 I've spent in a long time. having Waze at your finger tips and Siri to do what you tell it without pressing a button is awesome. Waze has saved me a couple of times so the $350 has already paid for itself...

I also bought the steering wheel control adaptor, can bus controller to stop my battery draining and a usb connector which will sit down near the ash tray...

they throw a free adaptor in for the aerial connections and free connector for a reverse camera. I was a cheap skate and used a camera that replaces one of the rear number plate lights but it works awesome and comes on and off without fail when selecting reverse and drive etc...

coding the new canbus gateway was a bit of a headache as it doesn't work like the old one with long coding. you just go in to vcds and select all the control units applicable to your car. you also have to switch the LHD / RHD thing. it was funny when I first turned it on and the drivers door was open it showed the passenger door open on the DIS, I thought I'd broken something...

the 8 button steering wheel requires the adaptor as noted above. it works ok but the slightly annoying thing is if you skip a track or radio station it skips the DIS to the next function as well...

This is the soldering I need to do to get the usb input down in the ash tray. I'll post some more photos once that's done and include the reverse camera install too...

Last edited by guile; 14-01-2020 at 09:17 PM. Reason: text added to photos

Users Country Flag
    Congratulations mate, another project car? Looks in decent condition, just needs a bloody good steam clean on those seats I'd say
    How's the MFD fairing? They usually go at some point
    BMW Z4 (2019)
    Audi TT quattro (2015), s-line in Nano Grey - sold

thanks mate, my first mk5 golf and my first dsg and I really like it. I can now see why a lot of people have a soft spot for these things...

I was totally surprised at the performance too with just a stage 1 Superchips tune. the dump pipe makes it sound nice too and I'm only a HPFP swap away from going stage 2. I actually have one sitting on the shelf from my s3 but resisting the temptation to upgrade as stage 1 is plenty fast enough on the road and I reckon it will only give more wheel spin and out extra stress on the dsg...

not wrong about those seats, its had 2 good vacuums so far and I minor wipe over to get rid of the pizz stain. it will be getting another one soon and potentially a steam clean if I can hire one suitable for a car interior...

the mfd is totally fine surprisingly, the car is generally in good nick for the kilometres. I'm trying not to tidy it up too much and get precious about it as the plan was to get something that had 5 doors, dsg for laziness and something I can street park without giving 2 sheets if it gets damaged...

Nice pick up. i was also looking at a mk5 but then picked up a low mileage 2010 Jetta tsi back end of 2018 as I was doing quite a few kilometres. Top spec with Leather, DSG and nice wheels, I put a nice stereo and HU in it, been a good family car to blast around in and has sufficient power. When you know enough about maintaining the euros, they become quite a value proposition.

some very minor updates but progress non the less. got around to fixing the previous owners pcv replacement bodge...

cleaned and with a new gasket, its no longer leaking...

I also gave it an oil and plug change, not before time by the look of the oil filter...

this is just so I note the kilometres when the oil was changed...

I also swapped the HPFP for one I had on the shelf with uprated internals. replaced the cam bucket and o ring at the same time...

while doing that I noticed another bit of handy work, referring to the black electrical tape...

I recorded the part number...

and ordered one of these...

once all that was done I updated the Superchips tune to stage 2+ including the crackle map for a bit more noise. this also cured my sporadic eml flicking on and off which was part of my justification for doing it...

feels fairly quick enough for a daily now and an awesome easy drive with the dsg...
    Last edited by guile; 28-11-2020 at 07:30 PM.

the out of shape crumpled firewall shield had been bugging me for a while so I thought it was worth 50 bucks to replace it...

just in time to add my personal plates then sell it...

gone but not forgotten, to thought I'd post up the sale advert photos to close the thread...

I really enjoyed this car and wouldn't rule out buying another. I think it would be a pirelli next time though...
    Last edited by guile; 09-04-2021 at 08:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast