Thread: VW Golf Mk5 Comforline Project Almost At The End

Users Country Flag

VW Golf Mk5 Comforline Project Almost At The End

So, my Golf is almost back to original. What's left:

1. Original Comfort 15" alloys (the Sport 16"s are fine but I suspect they make the ride on standard suspension a little more jiggly than it was originally designed to be.

2. Cup holder sliding cover. To be installed.

3. UPDATED I've ordered a new tether for the petrol cap from C-H-I-N-A for $3 - who'd have thought there was a market for little plastic straps to affix to the petrol caps of modern cars? The original petrol cap tether lasted less than 170,000kms, 275 refills, averaging one refill every 3 weeks... QULITY CONTROL VW, QUALITY CONTROL!

4. Fit rear bumper valance... I still have the cracked one on the car and the unblemished one on the shelf...

My eldest daughter will get her L's sometime within the next 6 months so I could surprise her with a shiny new old Golf if I manage to pick up a straight Pacific Blue Mk5 1.6 litre manual that I just can't seem to get out of my head...

I'm thinking I could drive the little antiquity with a manual shift and three pedals (I sorely miss driving a manual) until people driving ICE powered cars are burnt at the stake and Matt Canavan finally admits that he's only supporting coal because his share of the family trust fund depends on it.

So if anyone knows of a straight Pacific Blue 1.6 litre Mk5 manual available in Sydney preferably in Comfortline trim then I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Imagine the look of awe when kids see the three pedals...
    Last edited by davidorama; 13-10-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    2005 VW Golf 5 2.0 FSI Comfortline Sports Automatic

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Great news. Found a local grey Mk5 1.6 manual with lower KMs than my current drive... pity its not blue (the official name for the bright blue I'm looking for is Coastal Blue, not Pacific Blue as mentioned earlier) but if it's a good one... eldest daughter will be stoked if I get the opportunity to gift my current Golf to her... what a lucky L-plater she would be...
    Last edited by davidorama; 02-11-2021 at 10:14 AM.

Users Country Flag
    Sounds like a nice little Covid project. A Mk5 is a good safe and reliable little car for a young girl to be driving around in too - im sure your daughter will be happy.

Props for getting a manual and making the kids learn to drive a manual.

You may already, be aware, but the tiptronic automatics used in the non-turbo Mk5 Golf's are quite renown for having transmission issues (solenoids in the gearbox fail) so a manual is the safer option.

Have you got some photos of the cars? its always nice to see photos.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I decided against the 1.6 manual on offer. Grey. Meh. I think I'll hold out for a blue one. I've seen one with the clear coat rooted. I can do mechanicals, but I hate doing bodywork. I might be a bit old fashioned these days, and lets face it, driving with three pedals will be an obscure skill once EVs take over (we are so behind in Australia), but proud that my daughter wants to get a MT licence.

Photos? The Golf is unremarkable. Stock standard except for the Magny Cours sixteens. It's just a cheap daily.

To do:

1. SOURCE original Wellington 15"s still needed. Seems like Caddy drivers are snapping up those for sale on Facebook before I grab them (the latest Caddy looks great with allows instead of steelies).

2. AWAITING new tether for the petrol cap.

3. FIT rear bumper valance. Yes, I know, lazy - I've this in the garage for over a year.
    Last edited by davidorama; 05-11-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Found a nice blue 2.0 TDI with manual transmission - do the Mk5 diesels have particulate filters than need a blast on the motorway regularly to stop them clogging up? 99% of my driving is city driving.
    Last edited by davidorama; 08-11-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Props for getting a manual and making the kids learn to drive a manual.
    My daughter actually expressed a preference for getting her P's in a manual, without suggestions from me, which makes me kind of proud.

Apparently the wait to do the L's test is months long (!)... I don't know whether it's COVID or peak bureaucracy or peak cost cutting... makes me wonder why they haven't outsourced all services to SERCO... (ouch)

Well today I test drove A 2006 2.0 FSI Manual - as mention elsewhere, it is a delightful little drive compared to the automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by davidorama View Post
    - do the Mk5 diesels have particulate filters than need a blast on the motorway regularly to stop them clogging up?
    No they don't.
    Understand how it works, troubleshoot logically BEFORE replacing parts.
    2001 T4 TRAKKA Syncro 2.5TDI,2006 Mk5 2.0TDI Golf manual,2001 Polo 1.4 16V manual [now sold], '09 2.0CR TDI Tiguan manual,
    Numerous Mk1 Golf diesels

No DPF? That’s great to know.

Quote Originally Posted by jets View Post
    No they don't.