Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Golf 2.0 TD ...bulging goodyear tyres

Smile Tyre bulge no problem

In my experience I have had this happen to a variety of brands of tyes. As far as I concerned you have nothing to worry about. By the way NO gutter hitting from this boy. My last car had Dunlops fitted & they had a similar minor bulge on all four tyres. Happy Motoring.

Quote Originally Posted by pinzvidz View Post
    VW don't handle tyre warranty (nearly all vehicle manufacturers don't). Ring Goodyear or whoever manufactured the tyres and go from there...
    when i took it up with goodyear about a yr ago they said the only way they would pay for the replacement is if the bulge is on both sides which means they're defective tyres. if its only one side they claim impact damage.
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

Quote Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
    when i took it up with goodyear about a yr ago they said the only way they would pay for the replacement is if the bulge is on both sides which means they're defective tyres. if its only one side they claim impact damage.
    The photos you posted look very like separation damage, where the layers have become separated and pressurised air is getting between the layers. It certainly can be caused by kerb damage, but on all four wheels? No way. It's not uncommon for whole batches of tyres to come out of the factory like that. I once had a set of tyres (Goodyear) replace 3 times due to this, and the problem was not sloved until a brand new batch was used.

It is not good to drive with tyres in this condition, as depending how bad the bulges are, the wheel can be thrown out of balance and cause abnormal tyre ware. I have my doubts also, as to whether it would pass a roadworthy.

Try and get an independent opinion, and hit Goodyear with that. Ask them to explain how this is affecting all four tyres.

Cheers

Brian

Being all 4 tyres, you would have to think the problem is in the tyre, rather than anything that you have done to it.

I lost a tyre due to slamming into a pot hole. Buckled the rim slightly too. Ouch. Tell you what, those SportContact2 tyres are not frikkin cheap.

From a UK tyre company's website.

When should my tyres be replaced?
    The legal limit for the tread of the tyre is 1.6mm across ¾ of the tread pattern. Your tyre should be replaced if any of the following defects are visible:

If the tread is less that 1.6mm.
    If the tyre has any bald patches.
    If the internal construction of the tyres is visible.
    If the sidewall of the tyre bulges anywhere.
    If the tyre is split.
    If the tyre has extensive cracking or the rubber is perishing, (usually on older tyres.)
    If the tyre is not the same size as the one on other side of the axle.

Going by the above, I would venture to say that you vehicle would not pass a roadworthy, and could be put off the road anytime a sharp eyed cop spotted it in the shopping centre carpark.

Take it up again with Goodyear, and make it plain to them that you don't accept their assessment of the situation, and given the age of the car/tyres, you will take it up with Consummer Affairs.

That is almost definitely a side wall separation problem caused by faulty manufacture.

Cheers

Brian

After a long drive on the weekend, and noticing some pronounced but inconsistent vibration at speed, I thought of this thread and checked the Goodyear NCTs on my Golf 2.0 TDi, and lo, there does appear to be some bulging/rippling where the sidewall meets the tread. What chance have I of getting Barloworld Mascot to fix this? I didn't buy the tyres from Goodyear after-all, but from the dealer ...
    Last edited by motk; 04-03-2008 at 12:55 PM.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by motk View Post
    After a long drive on the weekend, and noticing some pronounced but inconsistent vibration at speed, I thought of this thread and checked the Goodyear NCTs on my Golf 2.0 TDi, and lo, there does appear to be some bulging/rippling where the sidewall meets the tread. What chance have I of getting Barloworld Mascot to fix this? I didn't buy the tyres from Goodyear after-all, but from the dealer ...
    I would definitely ring Goodyear customer service. They helped me, and where very friendly. Look also at my ammended, original message. My new set of Goodyears NCT's don't show any bulging at all.
    Current:Golf V 2.0 TDI, 2007, Comfortline, Manual, ESP, Parking Sensors.Previous: (VAG listed only)
    Golf MK1 GLS 1.6, 1977, Audi Coupe GT 1.8, 1978, Scirocco GLI 1.6, 1978, Scirocco GT 1.6, 1978, Scirocco GL 1.6, 1977, VW Golf GL MK1 1.6, 1976, VW Polo L MK1 1.4, 1976.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by motk View Post
    I had vibration at the front from the day one on our Golf, fitted with Goodyear tyres (made in South Africa). I took it to Bob Jane for balancing and also to check roundness of the tyres and two of them were not circle but ellipses. They replaced them with the new ones. Vibration was gone.

After a driver from Sydney to Canberra for the National Folk Festival, there's definitely an issue. Very heavy vibration at around 80km/h, and again at 110. All four tyres seem to have the same issue. I'm very surprised this wasn't picked up during dealer preparation - isn't this what we're supposed to be paying for in dealer-delivery charges et al? Ringing up the dealer in the morning ...

Ive used Goodyear F1's more than any other tyre and not had and problems with them at all.

Also, goodyear offer pro-rata tyre insurance, for about an extra $8 per tyre. If yr tyr is damaged, including if you hit a kerb etc (ie yr fault), they replace it under yr policy, and you only pay a proportion according to wear.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast