Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VW Golf 2.0 TD ...bulging goodyear tyres

Users Country Flag

VW Golf 2.0 TD ...bulging goodyear tyres

All four tyres on my 02/2007 Golf TDI 2.0, Comfortline display a distinct, outwards shaped bulge to varying degree. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this on their cars. I had a puncture, and the tyre repair bloke noticed it and pointed it out to me. He wasn't really pushing me for new tyres, but said for me to show it to VW when my car goes into 15k service next week.

• I haven't hit any kerbs

UPDATE 16 February: Enquiry placed with Goodyear Customer Service ...what happened next

I e-mailed customer service stating the issues with the tyres, and images attached. Got a phone call the following day. Very friendly and helpful, advising me to have car inspected and evaluated at local Beaurepaires by manager. He then rang customer service in my presence , explaining 'heavy splicing' to be the issue. (apparently not too uncommon to be seen on imported tyres, but not an issue from roadsafety point of view) The response from service was to have all 4 tyres replaced
    under guarantee, minus the rubber used (2mm in 15000km in my case, $40per tyre) I agreed, as I did some research on the tyres, finding that they are quite good according to tests conducted in Germany's main Test Magazine and the german automobile club. You can read it here, press on the left hand column'14 Produkte im Test' to see the tyres compared against. http://www.testberichte.de/test/prod...4t_p11149.html
    thanks for all replies ...I'll make sure the next lot hasn't got bulges

Last edited by Rainer; 16-02-2008 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Contacted Goodyear ...results

Logzy Guest
    It looks like a kerb has been hit but i know you said you havent so..

Could be a defective tyre but its strange that it's evident on all 4 tyres.

What pressures do you run the tyres at.?
    What is the load rating for these tyres.? Is it correct for the car.?

Very strange.
    Last edited by Logzy; 13-02-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Users Country Flag
    I had the exact same thing happen to the left rear and front right OEM tyres (same as yours).

I hadn't hit any gutters either (but can't vouch for the missus), maybe pot-holes?
    2007 Elegance Wagon 2TDI
    2005 Multivan
    1976 White MkI Golf

I had good year on a car about 18 years ago. I had the same thing and got a rep out from goodyear. The steel belts had separated. They were replaced
    Deek

Quote Originally Posted by JP_Aircooled_TDi View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to the left rear and front right OEM tyres (same as yours).

I hadn't hit any gutters either (but can't vouch for the missus), maybe pot-holes?
    same happened on my comfortline. peice of **** tyres if you ask me. i had to pay for replacements too even though the tyres were clearly defective and i hadnt hit any curbs.
    2x Caddy, 1x Ducato

same thing happen to my civic 15 years ago, I swear no matter what i'll never ever use goodyear tyres inmy life again ...

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

bulging tyre pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Logzy View Post
    It looks like a kerb has been hit but i know you said you havent so..

Could be a defective tyre but its strange that it's evident on all 4 tyres.

What pressures do you run the tyres at.?
    What is the load rating for these tyres.? Is it correct for the car.?

Very strange.
    I use 240 kpa. The bulge is mirrored on the opposite, inner side of the tyre (4). My wife doesn't drive the Golf ...she prefers her Polo, which uses a different brand of tyres and hasn't got this issue.

Logzy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by vmq6695 View Post
    I think you could up the pressure a tad, to 38 psi (ie 85% of sidewall maximum). But 240 psi is not too low and is far better than the 32 psi that VW recommends.

If not a curb, I'd suspect impact with a pothole, because it is unlikely that 4 tyres would each have a hernia due to an internal fault.

Cheers

Victor
    A pot hole sounds like the most likley story especially when running a lower pressure. A decent enough pot hole would effectivly "pinch" the tyre sidewall between the rim and the edge of the pot hole.

I'd be running the tyres at 38psi.
    I currently have a VXII Clubsport and run the 18's at 40-41 psi

Dec 05 Reg 2L TDI comfortline.

Same problem - 43K tyres have HEAPS of life left.

No curb hits!

Thing is they sounded whiney on the rear, now that the dealer rotated them to the front, they sound bearing grumbly.

The reports here indicate that this batch of tyres are defective, but, how do you get them exchanged?

Not covered under VW warranty & since they're made in 'sudafrika' goodyear probably will say - go talk to VW?

Thoughts?

David

Quote Originally Posted by 85Fuego View Post
    Not covered under VW warranty & since they're made in 'sudafrika' goodyear probably will say - go talk to VW?
    VW don't handle tyre warranty (nearly all vehicle manufacturers don't). Ring Goodyear or whoever manufactured the tyres and go from there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast