Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum pump oil leak?

Vacuum pump oil leak?

Howdy all, looking for some advice.

I've ignored the oil leak in my mk5 gti for too long and after having a quick poke around noticed a bunch of oil coming from what seems to be the vacuum pump.

Thick oil deposits can be seen under the pump and coating the electrical cables below.... There is even a pool of oil in the crevace on top of the dsg.

A quick google shows two o-rings inside the pump housing. Should I bother replacing these or is usually the pump that needs replacing?

Your suggestions are appreciated!

Adrian.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Users Country Flag
    Yes that is the vacuum pump and this is becoming a bit more common now that these engine are getting older. Below is a good video showing you the o ring that needs replacing, and then some links to the o ring you need.

Single o ring: Vacuum Pump O Ring for Audi A3 A4 Volkswagen Eos Jetta Passat 06D145117 | eBay

Full o ring and seal kit: RKX 2.0T Vacuum Pump Reseal/Rebuild Kit for Volkswagen & Audi VW 2.0 T MKv, B6, 8P, B7 gasket 2.0T LIFETIME kit: Automotive: Amazon.com.au
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-06-2020 at 10:06 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Yep that was the exact video I watched too Vacuum pump oil leak?

Just curious if anybody had experience with the fix.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by adey88 View Post
    Yep that was the exact video I watched too Vacuum pump oil leak?

Just curious if anybody had experience with the fix.

Someone else only recently had the same issue - i will try to find the thread.

Edit - found it MK6R Oil Leak

and here Oil leak mk5 gti

Here is a link to a new pump assembly if you wanted to go that way, although not necessary: Pierburg Vacuum Pump 7.24807.20.0 Pierburg for Audi VW Skoda | Run Auto Parts or you could grab a 2nd hand one here VW GOLF MK5 GTI USED BRAKE VACUUM PUMP 06D 145 100 G - Parts 4 European Cars
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 15-06-2020 at 12:33 PM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Thanks Lucas... I know I should have searched the site.

I ordered the rkxtech kit and will see how that goes - too bad it has to come from the states with our crappy dollar and also the delivery time.

Keen to see if this fixes the oil disappearing trick my gti performs.

Users Country Flag
    Keen to see if this fixes the oil disappearing trick my gti performs.
    My best mate had a Mk5 GTI a few years back that liked to drink oil. Didn't have any leaks so it was burning it somewhere.

Swapping from 5w-30 to 5w-40 oil helped somewhat, as its a bit thicker when hot, as did replacing the PCV valve which is very common on this engine to fail and lets oily vapour of of the crankcase. Might be worth a try on your car. It still did burn some oil, but not as much after doing these things.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

I've done all of the above lol.

Only use 5w40 and have a pcv block off... Not sure if having a tune and a heavy right foot helps with the oil usage either.

Fingers crossed the vacuum seals will improve the situation, as mentioned earlier there is a pool of old oil that has seeped through so keen to give it all a degrease and monitor what happens.

Appreciate your suggestion though mate!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    Someone else only recently had the same issue - i will try to find the thread.

Edit - found it MK6R Oil Leak

and here Oil leak mk5 gti

Here is a link to a new pump assembly if you wanted to go that way, although not necessary: Pierburg Vacuum Pump 7.24807.20.0 Pierburg for Audi VW Skoda | Run Auto Parts or you could grab a 2nd hand one here VW GOLF MK5 GTI USED BRAKE VACUUM PUMP 06D 145 100 G - Parts 4 European Cars
    In one of these other posts they mention:

"You'll probably have to do the O-ring on the water outlet below it too, as it'll fail and cause a nice coolant leak"

Which part / water outlet are they referring to? Ive also noticed my coolant is slowly dropping...

Users Country Flag
    In one of these other posts they mention:

"You'll probably have to do the O-ring on the water outlet below it too, as it'll fail and cause a nice coolant leak"

Which part / water outlet are they referring to? I've also noticed my coolant is slowly dropping...
    The guy who said that is a VW mechanic (Umai Naa!!) so he knows what he is talking about.

The coolant temperature sensor is located directly underneath the vacuum pump, and it has an o ring on it. Its part of a black plastic coolant piece. So perhaps that's what he is referring to? They are pretty cheap so may as well replace the sensor and o ring seeing its 12+ years old now.

Looks like the part number is 06A919501A but unfortunately I cannot find anyone within Australia selling them, so you might need to order from VW spare parts or from o'seas. 06A919501A - Coolant Temperature Sensor – VAGPARTS Australia

This one references the right part number but then says it doesn't fit a MK5 GTI so who knows: Coolant Temperature Sensor 100 919 0032 Meyle for Audi Skoda VW | Run Auto Parts

DIY article: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
    Last edited by Lucas_R; 16-06-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

You are a legend mate. Thanks for that Vacuum pump oil leak?

How do you find the part numbers? When I had a Nissan I used a program called FAST where you could input your VIN and then look at exploded diagrams for each section of the car. Is there a VW equivalent?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast