Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum leak help

Users Country Flag

Vacuum leak help

My wife's 2.0 litre FSI non-turbo Golf V suddenly has a very bad idle which is giving an error message of 008825-leak in air intake system P2279-008-MIL ON, plus 000768-random/multiple cylinder misfire detected and 000769-cylinder 1 misfire.

I've done a search for these error codes and looks like it often points to a leaking PCV valve but if I remove the oil cap it stumbles and almost cuts out so probably not the PCV (?). Any better way to test the PCV valve?

I attached a DIY smoke machine I have to a vacuum input on the throttle body and there are wisps of smoke coming from deep down in the areas marked on the attached pic, underneath intake manifold runner Nr 1 but I can't pinpont the exact souce as there's too much in the way. Is there anything in this area that commonly springs a leak? Where does the long rubber vacuum hose in the middle of the pic attach to at the lower end, and is this a common place for a leak to occur? (We replaced the little plastic hose from the PCV valve a few months ago and looks like its still ok.)

This is the only area which is showing smoke with the smoke tester. Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum leak help-vacuum-leak-2-marked-jpg  

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Users Country Flag
    Pipe on left is the crank breather, runs up to PCV. I had this broken at the bottom and then everywhere once I touched it.
    It has a spring clip on the bottom end, if you have some really long needle pliers you can get it out. For me the pipe broke so then I could just look down at the bit remaining and pull it out. I replaced it but was never able to get a clamp on the bottom, it is a snug fit and certainly fixed my vac leak.
    This part Topran Valve Cover Breather Hose 116 346 Topran for Audi VW Skoda | Run Auto Parts
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Wow that intake removal look really easy. I've always been too scared to pull it. I though injectors would come out, and they need new seals and special tools. Then you could remove the fuel pump to check the tappet, then check for carbon **** in the intake.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Not sure what happened to my post. It was:

Removing and reinstalling the intake manifold is not too bad at all. The main problem is the hose clamps that hold the rubber pipes that go to each cylinder. They are called Clic-R hose clamps and are extremely hard to put back together using standard tools (took me about 4 hours the first time!). I believe you can get special pliers for them, or you could replace them with standard hose clamps I guess.
    Last edited by MEL744; 01-06-2020 at 08:00 PM.
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Justcruisin: thanks for the info re removing the hose - so that hose you linked to is def the longer rubber one on the left in the pic and not the plastic one on the right? Relieved to hear I may be able to remove it without taking the manifold off (I've got some really long needle nose plier.)

MEL744: thanks for the info on the intake removal and the clamps. May be worth me buying the special pliers if it'll save 4 hours work! I'm new to Golfs so I'm surprised how easy the removal sounds and looks.

Users Country Flag
    Yep I've just been having a look on eBay and it seems you can get them for as low as $20, so would definitely be worth it. Also, since the dipstick tube is attached to the manifold, when I pulled the manifold up, the dipstick tube broke off at the bottom. The plastic had become extremely brittle at the base where it is constantly heat cycled. It could be because I was doing something wrong I can't quite remember. From memory the top of the tube is held in place by a press fit rubber gasket type thing (you can see it from above its right at the top), maybe this had become stuck in place so you could try prying it free beforehand. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks for the tip re the dipstick MEL744 - very useful. Also, how are the clamps undone on the rubber runners? Haven't come across that type of clamp before. Thanks again.

Users Country Flag
    No problem, which clamps are you referring to, the Clic ones?

yes correct.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast