Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Vacuum leak help

Users Country Flag

I don't sorry, bought mine straight from the dealer as I was midway through the job when it happened and no longer have the receipt, from memory the hose was around $70(!) and the tube might have been about $30.
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL744 View Post
    I don't sorry, bought mine straight from the dealer as I was midway through the job when it happened and no longer have the receipt, from memory the hose was around $70(!) and the tube might have been about $30.
    Thanks so about $40 for the hose and $10 for dipstick tube from every other parts supplier
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    Out of curiosity, decided to have a look around, Runautoparts.com.au has the hoses under Engine Management, one is $48 the other is $18, not sure which one went bad but still a good saving either way. They don't have a dipstick tube for the BVY but for other VWs they are as cheap as $5! Also, just something which I found interesting was they have the cam follower listed for BVY and other 2.0 NA FSIs, which is something we were previously unsure if it was an issue on these engines. High Pressure Pump Tappet 30 93 7162 SWAG for Audi Skoda VW | Run Auto Parts

Users Country Flag
    I have the tappet for the fuel pump. I bought 2 when I had the turbo jetta too. Need to remove the intake to get to the fuel pump, which was always a reason not to do it. I have not heard of any failures on the NA engines. When I did my turbo I found it was barely worn at all, it was at 80,000km.
    If I do take off this intake to fix that hose clamp, i would be doing the tappet too. I'm in no hurry.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

Users Country Flag
    The PCV to Intake return is 06F103212D
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Dipstick tube 06F103663J
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    I managed to get the manifold off as per the pic below. I stretched some disposable rubber gloves over the intake ports to seal them in preparation for the smoke tester. I cut one of the tips of the fingers of the glove off to create a small hole so I could attach the smoke machine hose with a rubber band to seal it, which worked great.

It quickly became apparent that there was a bad leak in the actual intake manifold rubber hose to which I had attached the smoke machine, and when I took it off I could see that there is a big split in the hose (see below). So I'll buy a new set of intake hoses and retest. Interesting that the split hose looks like it was at some stage crushed during attempted incorrect installation and this is what weakened and eventually split the hose. We got the car back from a repairer about 3 months ago who had taken off the manifold in order to replace the oil filter cooler (at great expense). Won't be going back there again.

One more question: anyone know what the odd shaped piece of rubber is in the third picture? It fell out when I removed the manifold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum leak help-golf-intake-manifold-removed-2-jpg   Vacuum leak help-golf-intake-manifold-rubber-hose-cracked-jpg  

Vacuum leak help-golf-unknown-rubber-piece-jpg  
    Last edited by metako; 27-06-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Pretty sure that piece of rubber is the gasket I was talking about that holds the dipstick tube. It sits up the top of the dipstick tube and should locate into the gap in the manifold where the tube pokes through. Could be wrong since it has been a while since I did this job but it seems like the correct shape.

EDIT:

Just went out and checked, it is what I thought. See attached for photo (please excuse filthy engine bay).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vsA...ew?usp=sharing
    Last edited by MEL744; 27-06-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Yep dipstick top rubber mounting. I googled that part number too 06f103705B

Vacuum leak help-1586445245154_block-jpg
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Thanks MEL744, pretty silly of me not to work that out. And thanks for the PN JustCruisn.

Another question: where is the PCV valve situated on this model? I've seen pics of it on the top of the cam cover with other models but that doesn't seem to be the case here. It also doesn't seem to be attached to the intake manifold.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast