Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum leak help

Users Country Flag

You can undo them with normal pliers, you just have to squeeze them together a bit and kind of twist. They are very springy though and will shoot off when undone. Apparently the special pliers can be used to undo them.
    2016 GTI 40 Years | 2012 Up! | 2006 Jetta - Sold

Users Country Flag
    Yes the left pipe, it is actually some plastic not rubber, it has very specific shape to clear all the bits down there. yes if you get off with pliers you will never get the clip back on with the intake in place.
    The pipe to the right could just as easily break too, but is a lot easier to get at to check.

Can I ask what engine code you have in the Golf ? Mine is a Jetta so could be different.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks MEL744, I'll be careful when I take them apart.

Its a BLR engine, JustCruisn. Looks like I'll be taking the intake manifold off then. I've already replaced the smaller plastic hose on the right. I could not believe how thin the plastic was, and was suprised it lasted 100,000km. Thanks again.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by metako View Post
    Its a BLR engine, JustCruisn.
    Mine is BVY. I wonder if any difference with the intake. I'll have a good look in a few weeks when oil change is due.
    MEL744 has BVY also, and seems to be no real issues other than the dipstick and having the correct tools.

Vacuum leak help-img20190419163224-jpg
    Last edited by JustCruisn; 06-06-2020 at 06:10 PM.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

That engine layout looks very similar to our BLR. I started on the removal process yesterday and its becoming obvious that the online manual has missed out quite a few steps. like removal of the EGR metal pipe connection to the throttle body, as well as disconnecting the coolant hose to the throttle body etc.

I also have a new question: the manual says remove one bolt from the airfilter box on the LH side and lift it out, but ours is still being held by another stud/bolt on the RH side as shown in the picture. The stud is surrounded by a star-shaped rubber washer and there is no nut to undo, so I am wondering how this is removed? It doesn't want to lift up and I didn't want to force it as it appears many fittings on this car are quite fragile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum leak help-airbox-bolt-2-jpg   Vacuum leak help-airbox-bolt-1-jpg  

Users Country Flag
    That is just a rubber grommet, its quite hard to remove if it hasn't been done before. You just pull the airbox off, prying with a screwdriver may help. The grommet will remain in place.

Thanks MEL744. I'll give it a go. So that is not some type of circlip on the end of the stud that needs to be removed first?

Users Country Flag
    Just went out and checked mine, it seems to be a different kind. To me it would seem like yours should work in the same way, the centre circle with the U shaped rubber part will pull through the hole - not 100% sure but I have removed a few from the wreckers including other VW models and they always seem to just pull off, no studs need to be removed or anything like that.

20200609_094513.jpg - Google Drive

Great - I'll give it a try. Just waiting for the pliers to arrive from ebay now. Thanks.

Users Country Flag

You guys got any part number or links for the dipstick tube and the breather hose with the flex joint ?
    I figure if I'm gonna pull this thing I'll break both of those.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast