Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timing Belt interval?

Users Country Flag

Thanks for the info. Just some side questions:

Do the same replacement intervals apply for non-GTI Mk5s?

Are there any symptoms of a worn timing belt or way of inspecting/investigating without removing half the engine?

What's a ball park amount for timing belt replacement at an independent workshop?

My Mk5 is 7 years old, nearly 60k km and as far as I know hasn't had the timing belt done, so going by this thread it'll need doing before too long.

Thanks
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by greasykitchen View Post

Are there any symptoms of a worn timing belt or way of inspecting/investigating without removing half the engine?

What's a ball park amount for timing belt replacement at an independent workshop?

Thanks
    Well the book says you can see fraying, or worn down ribs or splitting along the flat side. But after quizzing my mechanic, when he has seen snapped ones, there's been no warning/any of those signs of wear.

I got mine done for $1k including parts and labour, so allow up to $200 in variance.

Yes, the 110 kW 2.0 l engines have the same replacement intervals as the 147 kW 2.0 l engines.

My Mk5 is 7 years old, nearly 60k km and as far as I know hasn't had the timing belt done, so going by this thread it'll need doing before too long.

Thanks
    This is what's stated in the workshop manual on page 145:

Generally it is not necessary to renew the toothed belt before the
    actual change interval is reached. Especially cracks on the belt
    side are not relevant for service life and cannot be covered by
    goodwill or warranty processing.

Users Country Flag

Thanks

WolkWerke did my belt for $950 with all rollers and bearings including new genuine waterpump and fluids.
    very happy with the service. although, did leave the charcoal canister plumbing un-attached! but im pretty fussy and go over everything after someones touched my car. especially brakes.
    Last edited by Krytox; 04-11-2012 at 08:21 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_vert View Post
    For the 2.0 l petrol engines, the timing belt should be inspected at 90 000 km, and then every 30 000 km. The change interval is 180 000 km. There is no time interval.

People need to exercise some caution - do not assume the above information in that manual (or anything else one finds on the internet) applies to all markets!
    Can anyone please confirm this

Users Country Flag
    I think he was paraphrasing the contents of the link.

Anyway, for the Australian market, the interval is 105,000klms or 7 years. For all passenger vehicle engines.
    '07 Transporter 1.9 TDI
    '01 Beetle 2.0

I'd be looking at changing it as relatively cheap insurance in your case. Although you are no where near close to your mileage it has been 7 years and the belts tend to become brittle with age. Still think you may have a year or a few in it if you want to take the risk? I'd do it just to get the water pump replaced while you're at it - I'd say that would be more in need of replacing rather than the belt.
    2007 Black Magic VW Golf GT TDi, Latte Leather, Sunroof, Bluefin Superchip, 18" Detroits, APR lower torque arm insert, APR Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake system, GTi sideskirts & front lip, R32 Rear Bar, GTi Steering wheel, RNS-510,Infinity BassLink Subwoofer,stubby antenna, R8 Oil Cap, Golf R front calipers, slotted front rotors, ceramic brake pads, LITEC LED tail-lights, Dension Gateway Five, Rear Emblem Reverse Camera, H&R Ultralow coil-overs, Badge-less front grille

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by poyta View Post
    I'd be looking at changing it as relatively cheap insurance in your case. Although you are no where near close to your mileage it has been 7 years and the belts tend to become brittle with age. Still think you may have a year or a few in it if you want to take the risk? I'd do it just to get the water pump replaced while you're at it - I'd say that would be more in need of replacing rather than the belt.
    Yep, what I was thinking - get it done anyway. Cheap insurance, yes, but still not that cheap going by one of the posts here. Plus I need a 60K km service as well and it all adds up $$ wise. It's a matter if i get it done here in Melbourne (at Volkspower?) or when I'm back in Adelaide over Christmas at AVW, or spread it out.

Thanks.
    '76 Mk1 Golf - Gone!
    '05 Mk5 2.0 FSI Sportline

Quote Originally Posted by bmw23 View Post
    Can anyone please confirm this
    Yeah sorry, those intervals are what's stated in the workshop manual, but may not apply to all markets.

I've edited my post to make things clearer.

Users Country Flag

Just had my 2009 Jetta 1.6 TDI with DSG have a 105,000 k service where the timing belt was replaced.
    The receipt said it was a 105,000 k/ 7 year service.
    So does that mean 7 years for the belt. if you do low ks?
    Standard 105 k service, with no extras cost me $931 (Qld Sunshine Coast) by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    105k or every 5yrs whichever comes first

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12