Thread: Strange knocking noise

Strange knocking noise

Hi
    im new, please go easy on me!
    im trying to figure out what the knocking noise in my 07 tdi 1.9 golf is at the moment, so much so that I am not sleeping and instead up right now searching YouTube videos to find the issue and solution.

on starting the car, which is a tdi, all runs well, but there is a certain point at which a strange intermittent knocking sounds occurs. This only happens (as far as I can tell) when the car is in park and idling. It’s a real strange sound.... doesn’t seemingly increase in speed when you rev the engine, and I believe non existant whilst driving.

YouTube

ive posted a video on YouTube of the noise so you can see what I mean
    I’m really a paranoid about this and am not sure what to do
    Any help would be just grand!

Have you done the timing belt and water body on this? Assuming second time around being an 07

Water pump and timing belt

Quote Originally Posted by sn809 View Post
    Have you done the timing belt and water body on this? Assuming second time around being an 07
    Hi no it’s never been done! An old man had the car since new and that was something I don’t think was ever done, maybe was but may need it again.

it has done 97,000 kms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimb000 View Post
    Hi no it’s never been done! An old man had the car since new and that was something I don’t think was ever done, maybe was but may need it again.

it has done 97,000 kms.
    I’ve noticed it only happens in park or neutral, so when idling. It certainly is a much more pronounced knocking sound.