Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing broken bracket / button for Mk5 Golf parcel shelf strings

Replacing broken bracket / button for Mk5 Golf parcel shelf strings

Here there.
    Drawing on your collective wisdom again!

We have snapped off one of the little round button shaped bracket/hook things that the parcel shelf strap hooks onto on the hatch. Lost the bracket otherwise superglue would have been an answer.

Soo.... our parcel shelf hangs down on one side.

VW dealer said you can't just replace the little button bracket - you have to replace the whole lining section (sorry don't know the right terms). And that would cost $270 for the part alone - let alone labour to get it done. Seems like a rip off to me.

Anyone had this problem? Are VW having me on? Can you get the little button bracket separately?

Users Country Flag
    Could you add your own hook?

Maybe a nice (ie. suitable/tasteful) wall hook or small knob fastened with a screw & washer.
    Would have to take the trim off to fasten from the underside.
    Maybe grind off the other one too and make it a matching pair.

Lots of personalising possibilities for a mere fraction of $270.

Would probably depend on whether it was a clean snap, without any large openings left in the trim.

cheers
    2007 Eos TFSI
    2005 Golf 2.0 TDI [gone but not forgotten]

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Unfortunately I need to get it looking original as I'm fixing it up to sell.

Users Country Flag
    you can buy the parcel shelf lugs separate and just glue them in. hot glue gun is best or to do a proper job pull the section off and get a soldering iron or hot air gun and melt the plastic down not the easiest job as both half's of the tailgate trims have to come off and are not the best to get off or back on have seen them split at the boot latch area and the clips are hard to line up and get back in. will try and get a part number and price 2morro for you. golf 6 have had a revised upper tailgate trim due to lugs snapping of due to parcel shelfs snapping them off if not located correctly when shut vw have put the lugs allot higher and more angle on the strings when open.

thansk for this advice. Sounds like a plan. The VW dealership told me you can't buy the lugs separately - not sure if that's true or not.

The following link has a diagram of the tail gate assembly and down the page a bit there's a close up pic of the clip - Missing clip that the parcel shelf string clips onto - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com If you're selling the car I would be tempted to try an alternative method because if you pull the trim off chances are you will create a rattle and that would be more off putting to any potential buyer than a mere broken clip. Just a suggestion anyway :>)
    Last edited by Russ59; 05-12-2010 at 09:53 PM.
    Russ

2005 Subaru Outback 3.0 R Premium

thanks. Yes, very frustrating for one little button.
    Will have to hunt around for some kind of alternative that won't stand out. How annoying!
    Cheers

Users Country Flag
    mk5 golfs might be starting to appear at your local VW wreckers. Perhaps enquire how much they would charge for a second hand part?

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag
    part number 1k6863673y20 $4 each for the tailgate buttons not a german part so doesnt come up on alot of parts catalouges part is sourced from south africa volksagen but can be purchased at any vw parts deparment

update

Hello
    I wanted thank everyone for your answers and assistance and thought I'd update you in case others have this same problem and read this thread.

I followed Bushnut's advice and tried to order that single part number but no parts dealer in Australia that I contacted had it or were willing to order it. Nor could I find any suitable alternative so went back to VW who in the end replaced the whole lining section (witht he button hook built in) for a sligthly better price of $179 including parts and labour.

We are selling the car and just felt like its one of those things that might turn buyers off when other identical cars on on the market tat the same time.

Advertising next week so wish us luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast