Thread: Replacing Air Intake Mk5 Golf /// Also, Any Tips for Perth Wreckers/Mechanics?

Users Country Flag

Replacing Air Intake Mk5 Golf /// Also, Any Tips for Perth Wreckers/Mechanics?

I hit a wallaby which busted up my air intake box in front of the LF wheel. So I need to replace that. I assume it's a simple enough job but haven't started crawling around under it and don't want to be dismantling my entire front end myself.

Can anyone enlighten me on this job? I can't find the part or any procedures in the manuals I have. What is it even called? Picture for reference.

Edit: apparently it's my intake air resonator. Part number looks to be 1K0 129 622 D

Replacing Air Intake Mk5 Golf /// Also, Any Tips for Perth Wreckers/Mechanics?-img_20200625_120958-jpg

Can I even just remove it? Obviously I risk sucking mud and crap into the filter as it is (hence the supplementary teatowel filter).

Finally, can anyone suggest a good VW wrecker in Perth for this part? I need to do the job in the next 2 weeks so may not be able to wait for interstate postage. Or if the job is a pain, maybe a decent mechanic. The car's a beater and I don't really have a lot of time to muck around with it.
    Last edited by Arch3r; 25-06-2020 at 08:13 PM.

Users Country Flag
    Just remove it mate - the resonator is just there to make the intake noise quieter, but in all honesty makes very little difference. I would just remove it and carry on. Its essentially just an empty plastic cannister.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Nice. Thanks for the reply Lucas. I read they 'may' affect performance but I've driven a lot of kays with mine as shown and seen no ill effects.

Considering the new part is $180 and I can't find a used one locally I guess I'll rip it off, at least for now.

Users Country Flag
    Do you need to block off the pipe where it attaches? I assume this is downstream of the filter ?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

No, it's upstream. See part 8: air filter with connecting
    parts Golf/Variant (GO) 2006 year Volkswagen SOUTH AFRICA 129070
    . I'm not sure if that diagram exactly matches my car but it's for the correct motor (BVY). I guess 14 is the actual intake point.

I'm happy enough to replace it at a later date if that's preferable.