Thread: Removing a DSG shifter at the wreckers

Users Country Flag

Removing a DSG shifter at the wreckers

Hi all,

Been trying to get some parts off mk5s at the wreckers but I need to remove the DSG shift knob and from every DIY I can find this involves being able to move the shifter. All the ones at the wreckers are 'locked' and can't be moved as the car has no power. Is there a way to unlock the shifter or remove the entire mechanism?

Cheers

Users Country Flag
    Pull the shifter surround up out of the console and there is a yellow plastic lock thing up the front right side of the shifter.
    You need to get a screw driver and push a tab section of the yellow lock in or it may be out and the shifter will unlock and you can move it back.
    It is hard to explain and I don't have any pics but have done it many times.
    MKV Sportsline Soot Belcher
    MKV Jetta FSI DSG

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Thanks a lot mate, went down to the wreckers today and got a heap of parts off different cars. Took a picture in case it helps anyone. Basically you have to push this tab in as shown while pressing the trigger on the shifter allowing you to move it.
    Removing a DSG shifter at the wreckers-ref2-jpg

Users Country Flag
    just curious @MEL744, which wreckers did you go to? (euro-specific wreckers or just any wreckers and looked for a golf )
    and what's the pricing like for basic trims etc?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

I went to Imlach's autowreckers in Clayton, but I also frequent Jolly's in Dandenong, with occasional trips to DIY Autoparts Broadmeadows. They all have websites where you can check what cars are in stock. From memory Imlachs had about 4 mk5 Golfs and 3 mk5 Jettas, with plenty of parts on all cars. As an example I got the ash tray with the buttons and 12V socket for $20. There are some real bargains to be had but as usual with these self serve joints its best to get in quick as some parts will get damaged by other people being careless. If you're after any of the standard MK5 trims/vents I may have them and would be happy to sell them for a reduced price to you before I put them on eBay. I tend to stockpile parts to get ones in better condition/different specifications (like the different ash tray models, different colour trims etc.) Let me know if you've got any other questions about wreckers.