Thread: Radio Head Unit Upgrade

Users Country Flag

Radio Head Unit Upgrade

Hi all,
    I know this has probably been done to death, however none of my searches have given me much info.
    I have a 2007 Mk5 Golf Comfortline diesel, bought new with, I assume, the standard factory radio unit, like this one:
    Radio Head Unit Upgrade-golf-radio-jpg

As I would like to keep the car for a few more years, I thought an aftermarket android based unit, with blue tooth and maybe reversing camera, would make it a bit more modern and user friendly.
    Alternatively, a more modern VW unit if that's possible?

I've read a whole bunch of info and watched many a video, but the kits or links are often dead, no longer available or confusing.

I am cool with tools and electricity but also happy for a drive in, drive out solution in Brisbane.

Cheers for any assistance

Ralph

Users Country Flag
    The RCD330+/330G give you CarPlay and Android Auto (if you get the right model) and is basically a drop in replacement:
    You will likely need an updated canbus to deal with battery drain in the MK5's.

Plenty of talk over here:
    Replacing RNS 510 with RCD 330+

If you really want an Android headunit so you can run apps natively there are options out there, but nothing I know much about. Joying is a brand I keep seeing when I do read, but I have zero knowledge past that.

If it has an engine or heartbeat it's going to cost you. | Refer a Friend - AussieBroadband $50 Credit

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Cheers, I'll look through it all. I'm not particular about running android apps native. Android Auto would suffice.
    Ralph

Users Country Flag
    Hey there fellow new dubber!

I'm going with the RCD330+ as it's basically plug and play. I've been told I'll need a canbus gateway upgrade so I'm hoping to find someone to help me with that
    MY08 Golf GT Sport - Current
    2013 Scirocco R - Sold 2020

Users Country Flag

Hi!

Recently purchased a 2009 mk V Pacific TDI 2.0(maybe the last release) and am looking to upgrade to RCD330+. I don't have vagcom access - is mine a good chance to not have the battery-drain curse does anyone know?

thanks
    Last edited by southseas; 25-11-2021 at 05:23 PM.