Thread: R32 Brake Booster/Servo Question

Users Country Flag

Question R32 Brake Booster/Servo Question

Hi all,
    I am having major braking dramas! I have searched far and wide to no end..... I left my car to sit lonely for a year during the covid mess and have had the engine all sorted (spark plugs had rusted in from pooling water), but the brakes then went sour. I replaced all rotors, all pads and we discovered (by "we" I mean the mechanic who is visiting far too regularly to my house) the rear left caliper bolts had not been installed correctly and one snapped, so replaced them but then the brake pedal stayed down (both engine on and engine off). Had a brake master cylinder put in, and unfortunately still no results, now the pedal feels great with the engine off, but once the engine is on it stays on the floor.... until the switch the engine off and it rises back to resting position. My mechanic is convinced the Brake Booster/Servo is the culprit, and lets face it, we have checked and replaced everything else, so it may well be.... BUT... he is unsure if you can get the booster out of the Right Hand Drive given the engine is "in the way". I searched the web and cannot find a single MKV R32 RHD thread or article that provides an answer... SO GOOD PEOPLE.. has anyone replaced the booster on a RHD R32, and if so, was it done with extensive labour and having to remove the engine?? or just extensive labour in removing everything in front of and around the booster? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Can be done with engine in place. But intake manifold will need to be removed. Which means removing the front end to get to it. Not heaps time consuming if DIY, but a mechanic will probably flog you a days work for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk