Support VWWC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick tyre recommendation

Users Country Flag

Quick tyre recommendation

Howdy folks, just after a quick tyre recommendation for my GTI.

Had the car service a week or two ago and the good blokes at Mike Weber's mentioned the tyres were due - one of the rears had a puncture and all were generally worn.

In what I can only assume was a matter of providence, my wife managed to scrape a gutter and puncture another tyre, so it's time for new rubber all around and reasonably promptly.

I currently have Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s, which I bought mainly because they won the wet weather performance in the Wheels (or maybe MOTOR) tyre test a few years back. I've been quoted $239 each by Jax or they're $212 on tyresales.com.au. I've got no complaints about them so absent any strong recommendations to the contrary I'll just get another set.

The bloke at Jax also offered me a set of Pirelli Cinturato P1s for $600. He seemed to think they were pretty good, but he might just be trying to get rid of them.

Tyresales also have Continental ContiSportContact 5s at $294ea, but 3-for-4 so the total price ends up basically the same as the Goodyears.

Thoughts ? I don't really drive the car hard, mainly my wife drives it. As I'm a touch paranoid about that, I tend to usually buy based on wet weather performance.

Users Country Flag
    I had conti 5s on my GTI when I got it. About 1/2 worn and went well enough though they broke free when pushed.
    Have just changed to RE003s when on the 4 for 3 last month and they go well. Can't say I've gone hard in the wet but with well for every day. Only down side is they are a little noisy. But I rarely drive above 70 for my daily commute, etc.
    Current - 2007 Golf GTI, DSG, RCD510, K&N Panel Filter, BSH PCV revamp, Bluefin Stage 1 tune, 18" Omanyt's with RE003s.
    Previous - 2003 Renault Clio Sport 172 - Flame Red. -Gone-

Users Country Flag
    I think the Michelin Pilot Sport 2s are worth a look. I put them on my GT to replace the OEM conti's and I really liked them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

Users Country Flag
    Ask jax to match tyresales
    Ive been looking at the Goodyear too.

But on my wifes car I got Michelin PRIMACY 3 ST, easily the quietest tyre available and for a family drive it is great. But not available in 18“. Had to slam the brakes in pissing rain and it pulled up well.
    MK4 GTI - Sold
    MK5 Jetta Turbo - Sold
    MK5 Jetta 2.Slow - Until it dies.

Users Country Flag
    I am using the Michelins Pilot Super Sport on my car and they simply the best grid in both wet and dry even best cornering on track days.

MY08 Mark V 1K Jetta 110kw 2.0L FSI 6 Speed Tiptronic, Comfortline, 18" VW R32 Omanyt Wheels, Reflex Silver
    MY11 Mercedes Benz W204 C250 150kw 1.8L Turbo 7 Speed, Vision Pack, Sunroof, Reverse Camera, 18", Palledum SIlver
    ** SOLD ** MY12 Mark V 6R Polo 77TSI 7 Speed DSG, Comfort Pack, 17" VW Polo 6R GTI Wheels, Pepper Grey

Users Country Flag
    michelin PS3 or stick with the Goodyears. Both are around the same price.

You don't say what size you have but $210-$220 is the price I can get 225/40r18 Michelin/Goodyear

The standard size on a GTI is 225/45r17.
    CSC5 are $180
    PS3 are $165
    F1A2 are $209

Stay away from the Pirelli. Too variable in performance
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    I will put another vote forward for the Bridgestone Potenza RE003s, finding them good performance for the price.
    1997 Golf CL, 2011 Caddy Life TDI, 2007 Golf TDI, 1996 Vento GL (red), 2008 Skoda Octavia TDI
    1996 Vento GL (white) - RIP

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by epigoo View Post
    I am using the Michelins Pilot Super Sport on my car and they simply the best grid in both wet and dry even best cornering on track days.

+1 on the Michelin PS3's.

Had them on my car since I bought it last year and handling is exceptional in both wet and dry.
    Will be replacing with PS3's again.
    07 GTI
    APR stage II

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    Ended up with the ContiSportContact 5s (225/45/R17) due to a combination of cost, availability and convenience. $902 inc. alignment from Jax.

On a related note, how far should one drive one of the spacesavers before replacing it ? We've had a couple of flats in this car, so the spare has probably done at least 100km or so (and car was second hand, so previous owners may have done some as well).

Aside: I was pretty disappointed to see (I wasn't there - my (very) pregnant wife had the car) that the RACQ guy had a) put the spacesaver on the front, rather than swapping over the wheels so it was on the back and b) not checked the pressure even though it was visibly not properly inflated (from memory when I topped it up, about 250kpa instead of the 420 it should have been - yes, I should probably take better care of it ).

Just what you'd do with any other tyre — wear it out.

So far as I know, the recommended distance limit is per use, not per tyre.

My opinion of these things matches my opinion of speed humps — the inventors of both should be hung upside down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast