Support VWWC

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Pirelli (Lots of Pictures and Text)

How's the full APR Exhaust? I'm looking to buy either a TBE or DP for my Pirelli also but I'm scared of the TBE being a bit too loud even if there are minimal gains over the DP, the last thing I want is going on a 100km highway drive with the exhaust blaring over my music or just even my thoughts!

Users Country Flag
    Are you still running the stock air intake? Would be good for a few more horses and the carbonio looks superb
    2008 VRS Wagon. Yellow, very yellow!
    Forever blowing bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Nice work Kryten

Sounds like you've developed the template for the R20T we all hope ends up making it here!

D
    Hey mate...

haha well if it's the template for the R20T you'd better get your chequebook out for one! This thing has been a labour of love in both the time, and the cash department!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by decksla View Post

ive just had my relli intaked, flo pumped, and GIAC awesomeness tuned and a slabs going your way if you can get your relli anywhere close to a flat 5 for a 0-100 on street rubber, running street tyre psi and on a (private ) street.
    Yep. To be honest I'm really not sure what to expect. I only know it'll be in the 5's somewhere....

I did get a 5.8 using Dynolicious before the exhaust, IC, Fuel Pump and lightweight wheels went on.. So I'd be a bit disappointed if it doesn't break 5.5. It's certainly down to technique though, as you need to get that boost on as early as possible with these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by tinto View Post
    I'd be up for a Perth Pirelli dyno run!
    Where did you have yours done, Kryten?
    I had it done by a mob called "Pro Auto". The Dyno was great, and the service was fantastic. I don't think they were entirely "euro friendly" though. Lots of mutterings about "Effing Germans" and "Bloody FWDs"....

Very nice setup though and the service was great. I can enquire about a Dyno day if you guys like????

Quote Originally Posted by aristocrat View Post
    One suggestion to your mods so far, with all the extra horsepower and handling enhancements especially with braking and suspension, do you think a front and rear stress bar would help your track days? As this should improve chassis rigidity and precision on steering especially when you're tipping in. Just a suggestion here.

By the way, do you have two Pirellis as the number plates are different in your post.
    I took some very good advice in the handling department, and decided to leave the KW's as the only change in that area. From my understanding, a certain (although not a great deal) of bodyroll is fine. It gives the tyres their best opportunity to do their job. Frankly, I had this thing going around corners at AHG at the limit for what I could handle and I wasn't left wanting any more grip or firmness in the suspension dept. For all the postering, GTI's aren't really a track car - although they do a pretty good job at it.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff_gti View Post
    I noticed the different plates as well but I suspect Photoshop trickery to hide your true identity
    You guess right, and well spotted!!!.. I should try and be a bit more consistent I spose!!!....

Quote Originally Posted by bwen View Post
    How's the full APR Exhaust? I'm looking to buy either a TBE or DP for my Pirelli also but I'm scared of the TBE being a bit too loud even if there are minimal gains over the DP, the last thing I want is going on a 100km highway drive with the exhaust blaring over my music or just even my thoughts!
    Mate the APR exhaust is spot on. I'm not kidding when I say unless you're giving it a bootful - you won't really notice much difference. There is certainly NO drone whatsoever at high speeds (anything under 150 anyway). It only comes on song when you really put the foot in. Great setup. Obnoxious as hell when you want it to be, otherwise it's a pussycat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pullstarter View Post
    Are you still running the stock air intake? Would be good for a few more horses and the carbonio looks superb
    Yeah I dunno hey. Personally I don't really like the look of them. They look too tacky (but that's just me) - plus I've read a few bad reports about them from place to place... I reckon if I was going to go CAI, I'd probably go with the K&N engine-bay jobbie. I've seen some brilliant looking powdercoated intakes, but nothing that allows you to keep the engine cover on..

To be honest, a few extra KW isn't really worth it when you're already pushing out 220-240. If I was after more horses (which I'm not saying I'm not) then I think I'd probably go with the bad boy garrett turbo from APR. 285 KW (or more depending on what fuel you're using). I just dunno.. As it drives now, and even after all these months of owning it, it still shocks the bejeezus out of me up to 100ks...

I gotta say it's tempting though. I'm already in for serious dosh on this car (you really don't wanna ask) - so an extra $10k to extract the next monster step up in power is certainly attractive...

Maybe I should rub up the APR guys in the right way, it's practically an APR poster child as it is.

Cheers guys.

Another question Kryten, did you end up getting the very lower rear bumper painted black yet?

Krysten, I'm interested to know.. Wouldn't it have a better air flow with an aftermarket air filter? Like gruppeM or sth like that..

Users Country Flag
    Very nice write up and pics to match!

Enjoy the big brake upgrade and the coilovers for track duties! The wheels match it to a T as well!

Did the APR exhaust include the dump pipe?

My car also had trouble on the Dyno with DSG - Both Bazzles and mine have the same same mods (i have a filter) and there was 20KW difference at the wheels!

.:R32 | GIAC | HALDEX II | MILLTEK | BMC | WHITELINE | A-ROTORS | HAWK

Users Country Flag
    The car looks fantastic. I love yellow cars.

Quote Originally Posted by kryten2001 View Post
    Not only are the brembos bigger and more powerful, they are considerably lighter than the OEM brakes. This reduction in rolling resistance can only assist in greater acceleration and braking.

The car was remapped, and the performance increase, although not as noticable as the tune, was up quite considerably. This was also likely due to the reduction in sprung weight on the front wheels....
    Could you explain these 2 statements please?

How would lighter brakes reduce rolling resistance? Do you actually mean unsprung weight?

How does reducing unsprung weight of the brake calipers aid in increasing performance (I assume you mean acceleration)? I can see it would improve the operation of the suspension but I can't see how it would affect acceleration. Reduced weight in the wheels would help acceleration but not brake calipers (or are the new disc rotors lighter?)
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    The car looks fantastic. I love yellow cars.

Could you explain these 2 statements please?

How would lighter brakes reduce rolling resistance? Do you actually mean unsprung weight?

How does reducing unsprung weight of the brake calipers aid in increasing performance (I assume you mean acceleration)? I can see it would improve the operation of the suspension but I can't see how it would affect acceleration. Reduced weight in the wheels would help acceleration but not brake calipers (or are the new disc rotors lighter?)
    brad, I think you'll find that kryten2001 probably meant "unsprung weight" and not "rolling resistance".

Well, as for acceleration, minimal if any since you quite rightly point out, if the weight of the wheels were significantly lighter, the torque or force to have it spun up to a certain rpm would be lessen - hence translating to better acceleration and braking, since the mass is reduced. As for lighter brake calipers leading to better acceleration, ummm, unless they were 40Kg each before and the brembos 5Kg each, there wouldn't be much of any difference I would have thought. It would significantly improve roadholding though - reduced unsprung weight.
    Last edited by aristocrat; 24-08-2009 at 11:25 PM.
    2009 .:R32 5Door Black Magic DSG Sunroof Stubby Antenna
    2007 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade Yoshimura RS5 Carbon Fibre Pipe

Users Country Flag

Holding a gear

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgti View Post
    Isnt it just a matter of selecting the gear in sport mode and not pushing the pedal all the way down so far as to click the kickdown button?
    Firstly great write up and some very nice mods, the way I like it. All functional mods with great taste (i want them wheels LOL)
    Your Pirelli gets me a littttttle too excited

The best method I have found for holding a gear is to select D and then push shifter to the left for Manual Mode.
    After doing this the car will not shift down unless you floor the accelerator and then press that little bit harder to compress the kick down button under the pedal.
    It will still kick down if the revs are out of boost zone though as you all may know :p

APR S2/Whiteline/H&R/Enkei/Carbonio/13.68@101/Winton-1:44.52

Users Country Flag

Great write up. If I had a Pirelli and the cash, I think I'd do basically the same mods.

I've love to know what she does down the 1/4 mile.
    2000 Mk IV GTI

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast