Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirelli Wheel Weights

Pirelli Wheel Weights

Hi guys -

After much searching for data on the 18" pirelli rims, I discovered they're made by a mob called Antera out of Italy.

Since this info doesn't appear to exist anywhere on the web, at least that I could find, I thought I'd write to them direct to request the information I was after - their weight - and I've received a reply already.

So for posterity, and future people out there searching for this information, here's an excerpt of the reply email:

----

Thank you for your request.

Please note that Pirelli wheels are already a good wheels concerning weight.
    The size you told us is probably 8x18" because we never produced 7.5x18", so it's probably 8x18".
    The weight for this wheels depends on the application but I can confirm you that wheels in 8x18" have a weight between Kgs. 14,00 and 14,80.

Feel free to contact us for any other information you may need.

----

There you have it... Although I was sure they were 18x7.5s, the answer is a "light" 14.0 - 14.8 kilos EACH.

Nice rims, but that's too heavy. That just made up my mind regarding those 7kg Yokohama beauties I've got my eye on.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/wheel...vs_modelf7.htm

Users Country Flag
    hey dude.

off the bat, "yes im much too busy and lazy these days to find out myself"

when you got your brakes didnt you have a look on the back of the wheel for the size? id be super shocked if they werent there.

also, you shudda chucked the wheel on a scale to give you some indication of weight.

Users Country Flag
    Last edited by decksla; 01-04-2009 at 06:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kryten2001 View Post
    Thank you for your request.

Please note that Pirelli wheels are already a good wheels concerning weight.
    The size you told us is probably 8x18" because we never produced 7.5x18", so it's probably 8x18".
    The weight for this wheels depends on the application but I can confirm you that wheels in 8x18" have a weight between Kgs. 14,00 and 14,80.
    All the specs show 18 x 7.5 ET51 and the golf requires the winglets to be fitted to the front and rear bumpers if 8" wide wheels are fitted so I'd be checking to see if you received the right information from Italy as if they got the width wrong they probably got the weight wrong as well.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    All the specs show 18 x 7.5 ET51 and the golf requires the winglets to be fitted to the front and rear bumpers if 8" wide wheels are fitted so I'd be checking to see if you received the right information from Italy as if they got the width wrong they probably got the weight wrong as well.
    do these "winglets" hide the poke of the 8" wide wheels??

Didn't think 8" would poke much if it was the correct offset, say ET45
    84 MK1 GTI
    01 DC2R

Quote Originally Posted by Big Yellow View Post
    do these "winglets" hide the poke of the 8" wide wheels??

Didn't think 8" would poke much if it was the correct offset, say ET45
    The Karthoum has an offset of ET50. Still comes with a 225 tyre.

And it's mandatory that the wheelarch extensions are fitted if you order with your car. They can either come painted or unpainted. One is required for each wheel.

Users Country Flag
    you could easily sort this out by just looking at a pirelli wheel and reading the specs on it

PERFORMANCE, STYLING AND OEM PRODUCTS FOR YOUR VW

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    The Karthoum has an offset of ET50. Still comes with a 225 tyre.

And it's mandatory that the wheelarch extensions are fitted if you order with your car. They can either come painted or unpainted. One is required for each wheel.

they look pretty stupid. whats the point of only extending that little bit of the arch??
    84 MK1 GTI
    01 DC2R

Quote Originally Posted by Big Yellow View Post
    they look pretty stupid. whats the point of only extending that little bit of the arch??
    No idea, I don't know why they don't offer then in 7.5 or a different offset and avoid this whole issue

They don't look all that crash hot, have the same width of tyre and then put these crappy extensions on. I wouldn't fit the extensions if I fitted them afterwards. On the US models you have to adjust the camber and fit different rear springs.

"On the Golf US (NAR), camber on rear axle must be reset to -1°45' and rebound spring 000 071 501 required."

Quote Originally Posted by decksla View Post
    hey dude.

off the bat, "yes im much too busy and lazy these days to find out myself"

when you got your brakes didnt you have a look on the back of the wheel for the size? id be super shocked if they werent there.

also, you shudda chucked the wheel on a scale to give you some indication of weight.
    All the doccos and online info from VW stated 7.5" wide...

And nah I didn't, I didn't personally do the brakes and I didn't ask the mechs to do it when they had it in bits..

Also, to weigh the wheel you'd have to pull the tyre off... I wanted to get the info without going to all that bother.

Somebody must have it wrong, either the manufacturer or VW.. Either way though, it wouldn't be much lighter for a 7.5" over an 8" wheel anyway - certainly well less than a kilo.

It was more important to get an idea of magnitude. Obviously if the OEM weighed 11-12 kilos, it wouldn't give such an advantage to upgrade the wheels... 14-15kilo rims are very heavy though, and going to a 7KG rim is going to make a big difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast