Support VWWC

Thread: Pink slip fail - Mechanic says both side inner CV boot leak grease.

Pink slip fail - Mechanic says both side inner CV boot leak grease.

Hi guys, I've taken my 2007 Golf V 2.0 FSI to the shop to get the timing belt + water pump replaced.

Then I realised that the rego was due for renewal soon so I asked him to also do a pink slip.
    He just messaged me that both side inner CV boot rip leaking.
    And he's suggesting to replace for both side the whole CV shaft kit.

- Can you really fail a pinkslip for that? I mean I've taken the car to other places and they didn't look under the car or checked the suspension components. I'm just wondering if he's not trying to hike up the bill. I'm pretty sure the car would pass the eSafety check somewhere else.

- He's a pic, is a replacement really warranted?

Pink slip fail - Mechanic says both side inner CV boot leak grease.-1660180388490-jpg

Pink slip fail - Mechanic says both side inner CV boot leak grease.-1660180388496-jpg

- Also just to make sure I understand. The CV boot is the black rubber part that connect the shaft to the transmission correct?
    Based on the his message, only the CV boot is damaged not the shaft.

When he says the shaft kit for 1 side cost $195, he means replacing the arm (shaft) and the rubber part (the CV boot) correct?

Can we only replace the CV boot part since this is what appears to be leaking grease or is it generally better to change the whole kit?

I'm not super familiar with these parts so any insights is appreciated

Thanks

Users Country Flag
    The CV boot is the ribbed black rubber part on the inner and outer end of the CV shaft. They perish and crack as they get old. The labour to replace just the rubber CV boots would be more than replacing the whole CV shaft which will come with new CV boots.

Yours have been past their used by date for a while looking at the photos.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_R View Post
    The CV boot is the ribbed black rubber part on the inner and outer end of the CV shaft. They perish and crack as they get old. The labour to replace just the rubber CV boots would be more than replacing the whole CV shaft which will come with new CV boots.

Yours have been past their used by date for a while looking at the photos.
    Hey Lucas, I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

After posting I did a little bit more research and watched some videos, I now have a better picture of what's a CV shaft. It's the whole arm and each end of the arm comes with the ribbed black rubber you mentioned.

Now that I picture the part, I can see that replacing only the CV boot would require the exact same labour as replacing the CV shaft as you would need to take out the CV shaft in order to take CV boots off the shaft

Also thanks for confirming that mines are due for a replacement. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't taken for a ride. Happy to get them replaced.

Does $429 to replace both CV shafts seem to be a fair price?

Users Country Flag
    Assuming that price includes labour? Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Users Country Flag
    You should be thankful hes an honest mechanic . Hes done you a favour really by pointing them out to you.

Check price if he said one side kit is $195 2 would be $390 so labour will be more than $39 unless that the fitted price for each side
    Last edited by Hillbilly; 11-08-2022 at 03:54 PM.
    2021 Kamiq LE 110 , Moon White, BV cameras F & B
    Mamba Ebike to replace Tiguan

He actually fitted them both for $390 + GST including labour.

He already fitted them yesterday. I drove the car and the steering wheel is now more precise than it used to be.

Quite happy.

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate and yes I'm thankful I found an honest mechanic. I left him a great Google review, it was the least I could do.

Cheers

Users Country Flag

Good to hear.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST