Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petrol in oil - next steps?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

Another update: I did give up and take it to my mechanic, who replaced the dipstick. The smell is way fainter now, though I think it's still there at idle; it's just not actually getting out of the sump and into the aircon as easily. We looked over the fuel trims and they look within normal ranges. It looks to me like the car's pulling fuel at idle, but I don't really know how to read VCDS outputs - there's also more carbon in the exhaust than normal, which suggests it's running rich, so not sure quite what's going on there.

I also replaced the charcoal canister before the dipstick, which didn't make any difference. I'm wondering if there's some sensor issue which might be making it run rich? I got a fault code a few weeks back indicating 'low voltage' to (from memory) 'fuse 30'; a Google search suggested this often pops up when you disconnect and reconnect the battery, but that it was referencing a knock sensor, which seemed odd.

The engine doesn't seem rattly and there aren't any over-run pops - all of which suggests that the fuel pump might never have been the issue, which would be neat since this is pretty much the most expensive part I'm worried about (aside from injectors). I'll run it for a couple of weeks, and then take it back to the mechanic for another once-over. As long as the smell isn't unbearable I can live with it at this point!

Have you found a solution?

Sent from my CPH1611 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12