Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil to suit mk5 (off shelf)

Oil to suit mk5 (off shelf)

Hi Guys,

What off the shelf engine oil will suit the mk5 GTI?

I need to fill up as tonight had the warning on dash show low oil or to check engine oil. I checked the dipstick and appears like no oil left at all.. I'll have another look tomorrow but my plan is to get some oil from autobarn to suit, top it up, then get a service done to replace oil and service dsg anyways.
    Last edited by j_man; 28-06-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Users Country Flag
    I use shell helix ultra when I need to top up. It's easy to get and one of the few that are suitable.

There's a whole section on this forum dedicated to oil's.

Here's a good place to start - http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ce-9719-3.html.
    MY07 GOLF GTI
    5-Door l Tornado Red l DSG l Leather l Xenons l MFD2 l TCP T.B.E l DNA stage 1

Users Country Flag
    You can get Liqui Moly 4200 Top Tec 5w-30 from Autobarn for around the $80 mark. It's approved for use in the Mk5 and Mk6 engines.

Otherwise you can get the Penrite Enviro+ 5w-30 for around the same price. It's also approved for use in the Mk5 and Mk6 engines.

Autobarn should have one of these (if not both) in stock. If you choose another brand, just make sure it's VW504/507 APPROVED.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

Users Country Flag
    just ask the sales guy for something VW 504.00 approved. If they don't have anything then get 502.00 (Castrol Edge Sport 5w-30 is one)for top-up purposes.
    carandimage The place where Off-Topic is On-Topic
    I used to think I was anal-retentive until I started getting involved in car forums

Users Country Flag
    I will stick this one up, because too many people are asking the same question by starting a new thread. It shouldn't be that hard to find the threads with this discussion.

Sorry guys, that was a bit of a panic post. I've since researched and found the oil section on this forum but was not coming up for me in the thread search for 'oil' but anyhow good to have a sticky under the mk5 section.

I have since found and read all about 504/507 VW approved is the best, I ended up getting Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 ($75 for 5L at supercheap).

Bit of a worry though that no oil in my engine or on the dipstick!, must get serviced and checked over ASAP, although they'll drain my good oil I just purchased!

Now it's stickied, here are some more links that are useful to mk5s and oil (in case people are too lazy to search )
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...oil-46538.html
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ems-62219.html
    http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/foru...ort-40873.html
    MY07 GOLF GTI
    5-Door l Tornado Red l DSG l Leather l Xenons l MFD2 l TCP T.B.E l DNA stage 1

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by j_man View Post
    Bit of a worry though that no oil in my engine or on the dipstick!
    Dont worry - there would still be several litres of oil in the sump, just not enough to register on the dipstick.
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST
    2015 Audi SQ5 bi-turbo V6 TDI family hauler

I had the same thing happen to me went to a dealer and asked them to top it up and and and and and they did for 30 bucks

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast