Thread: The oil pressure warning light that cried Wolf.

The oil pressure warning light that cried Wolf.

Driving along (Golf MKV 2.0 FSI) when suddenly oil pressure warning light comes on. Keep going for a little while but pull over when light stays on.

Check the dipstick, oil level is fine.

Keep driving but warning light is still on.

Get home, check dipstick again, level fine again.

Remove oil filler cap, was very tight but comes off. Screw it back on.

Go for a drive and all good, no warning light. WTF? How removing and replacing oil filler cap can fix this issue is beyond me.

I've now had this happen twice (in two weeks) so can't put it down to just one of those things .....

Users Country Flag
    Maybe a faulty sensor, om not sure whether it senses level or pressure but it could be a slight negative pressure in the crank case causing it to come on, it would also explain the tight oil cap. Just a theory, but negative pressure in your engine helps with fuel efficiency and power.
    MY11 CW Golf RIntake, Tune, DP, DV+Superpro arms and ALKCustom 4" tipsTWM Short Shifter

Users Country Flag
    Oil pressure and oil level are two very different things. Maybe you have a partially blocked pcv system and it's causing pressure build up in the head? Just a thought

Dont poke and hope, scan, smoke and scope
    Users Country Flag
    Have the pressure tested, gauge wont lie. That will confirm if ok , could be bad sensor, ive done a couple
    Cheers
    Jmac
    Alba European
    Service, Diagnostics and repairs. Mobile Diag available on request
    Audi/VW/Porsche Factory trained tech 25+ yrs exp
    For people who value experience call 0423965341

BlackWhite Guest
    I've moved this question to the Jetta thread...sorry - ignore this (mods can you delete this?)
    Last edited by BlackWhite; 16-07-2020 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Moved to Jetta forum I think I posted in wrong forum thread

Users Country Flag

Blackwhite common issue with these engines is the pickup can get clogged causing oil pressure and oil starvation issues. Highly advise getting the sump removed and and the mesh on the pickup checked. If gunked up, replace pickup and should be okay.