Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No turbo boost when car is warm (1.4TSI)

The N75 is the charge pressure control solenoid. I'm not exactly sure what the correlation is between the 2 but when I had the N249 error code, replacing that valve only didn't solve it - only when the N75 was changed also. My N249 Diverter valve was completely screwed though with a torn diaphragm - make sure that the new one fitted is the newest type with a piston instead of diaphragm (VW upgraded it a couple of years ago).
    MY08 Blue Graphite GT TSI DSG

Users Country Flag Thread Starter

No turbo boost when car is warm (1.4TSI)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_OH View Post
    The N75 is the charge pressure control solenoid. I'm not exactly sure what the correlation is between the 2 but when I had the N249 error code, replacing that valve only didn't solve it - only when the N75 was changed also. My N249 Diverter valve was completely screwed though with a torn diaphragm - make sure that the new one fitted is the newest type with a piston instead of diaphragm (VW upgraded it a couple of years ago).
    Ok. This makes a bit more sense and matches with the reading I've been doing. Forge Motorsport make a valve-based replacement that still hooks in to the stock ECU and it seems to only replace the N249, supposedly eliminating the N249 failures.

My mechanic went out of his way to tell me that the part had been revisions by VW and I had that newer part fitted last week.
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold
    MY14 Tiguan 118TSI - sold (Mazda3 SP25GT in its place)
    MY16 Golf 7R: sold (Caterham Super 7 and Hyundai i30N in its place)

So, my mechanic has been through the car again and cannot find any fault codes for the problem but on a test drive with me acknowledged that the problem is still there (can't really miss it).

He ran some specific diagnostics on the N75 and in isolation it appears to be playing up. He wants to understand why there's no fault code for it so he's going to play with it next week whilst I'm overseas before simply replacing the N75.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    He ran some specific diagnostics on the N75 and in isolation it appears to be playing up.
    The car is back after a holiday with the mechanic (I was overseas all week anyway). They confirmed it was the N75 that was causing the issues. They replaced it and drove the car cold and hot to make sure it was well and truly fixed.

They said that for some reason the TSI doesn't report in as much detail as the GTI and that apart from voltage nothing else about the N75 is reported up as a fault code. Therefore you only find it's faulty when you run specific diagnostics against the unit.

So it's ended well with the car being returned to full boost after replacement of both N249 and N75. Now for the APR Stage 1 tune...
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattlock View Post
    The car is back after a holiday with the mechanic (I was overseas all week anyway). They confirmed it was the N75 that was causing the issues. They replaced it and drove the car cold and hot to make sure it was well and truly fixed.

They said that for some reason the TSI doesn't report in as much detail as the GTI and that apart from voltage nothing else about the N75 is reported up as a fault code. Therefore you only find it's faulty when you run specific diagnostics against the unit.

So it's ended well with the car being returned to full boost after replacement of both N249 and N75. Now for the APR Stage 1 tune...
    APR stage 1 tune on the 1.4L Twin charged... People are mad.

Quote Originally Posted by The One View Post
    APR stage 1 tune on the 1.4L Twin charged... People are mad.
    Why???
    MY20 Golf GTI TCR
    MY20.5 LR Defender P400 HSE

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_A View Post
    Why???
    CAVD, more like CAV Disaster.

Haha, just trolling

Lucky the Mk5 version is BLG then and not CAVD

FYI, my N75 failed again, I was able to pick it straight away however again it showed no error code on my Ross-Tech cable nor my mechanic's software. He explained however that the valve suffers a mechanical failure internally and whilst operating properly electrically they fail to carry out their intended function.
    Once it was replaced it was all back to normal. As mentioned earlier in this thread I had previously changed to the piston type diverter valve and this was still operating as normal. The mech also confirmed that the N75 has a new revision number from last year onwards (previous part # was a 2006 designation) so VW have obviously identified that there's a problem and upgraded the part.

How long did your last N75 last?

I am assuming that when mine was replaced in September last year, it was done with the revised part. If it fails again, I may switch to the Forge Motorsport unit.
    MY08 Mk5 GT Sport - sold

Mine was previously replaced in Jan 2012 so wouldn't have been the revised part.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast