Thread: (Newbie) golf mk5 1.9 TDI : losing all electric systems when left in the sun...

(Newbie) golf mk5 1.9 TDI : losing all electric systems when left in the sun...

Hi all, newbie here.

I have a golf mk5 1.9 TDI 2004 with a very particular issue :

• Car stays parked in hot sun for 2-3 hours
      • when started, car will run fine for 10-20mns
      • then electric systems go down one by one
        • A/C (only fan was active at the time, not A/C)
        • turn signals / stop lights
        • sometimes car radio (not always)
        • power windows
        • all dashboard light and screen

• then finally the engine stalls... fun when you're on the highway...

• If I try to start again : no power at all (dashboard lights and screen off) : nothing
    • If I wait one minute: dash lights come back, but the car can't start : starter stuttering (clack-clack-clack) like with a dead / weak battery
    • once I leave the car off for a few minutes (2-3), the car will start again and run for 5-10 mns
    • then the cycle starts again...

This seems to only happen only when the car has been sitting in the sun...

What I've tried so far:

• I've checked as much as I could of the electric wiring, fixed a few messes the previous owner(s) did
    • checked and replaced any fuse that seemed in bad shape (found some that look slightly corroded, and one blown, with copper wire to "repair" it... )
    • checked light connectors and repaired / replaced when needed (one had a pin burnt : replaced the connector and soldered new wire with clean pin)

I've done extensive research but couldn't find anything about it...

Anyone has any idea ? going crazy trying to find the fault here !

Much thanks!

Dan
    Last edited by evon; 21-06-2022 at 05:23 PM.

Hey mate,

Have you checked the ECU box? Sometimes waters finds its way inside the ECU box and damage critical wires, fuses and relays which can lead to strange things like you are describing.

Also, first I recommend running VCDS or any other diagnostic tool you may have to see which fault codes come up, that should put you in the right direction.

Thanks ! I ended up getting the vendor to replace the car with a Jetta MK5.

In case anyone is interested in what happened : The car spent 7 weeks overall at the vendor’s garage, and they couldn’t figure it out. Once we swapped cars, they finally found the issue : “steering column module” (I’m assuming the ecm under the steering wheel) was defective…

The car had so many other issues, it’s a good swap for me.

Thanks again!